We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

online booking for United Mileage Plus rewards +

El Cerrito...
Level Contributor
172 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
online booking for United Mileage Plus rewards +

Since United charges a fee if you have to speak to an agent to make reservations, my husband and I wanted to book an upcoming trip through the United website. The tricky part is that we have enough miles to get one free ticket, but we need to purchase the second ticket. Is there any way on the United website to book both seats in a single transaction, using the miles for one seat and paying for the other? We tried entering 2 for the # of passengers, but then pops up a message that we do not have enough miles for that number of tickets.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
993 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: online booking for United Mileage Plus rewards +

No - you have to book them both separately. After you've done that, call UA and have them link the locator numbers together so at least the airline knows you are flying together.

El Cerrito...
Level Contributor
172 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: online booking for United Mileage Plus rewards +

I'm not clear on this - if we ask United to link the 'locator' numbers so they know we're travelling together, what affect does that have on anything?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: online booking for United Mileage Plus rewards +

I imagine it would only combine your itinerary from two into one.

That should work. Try it, and if you have any problems, contact them and they shouldn't charge you. If there system was perfect, you wouldn't have to call, right?

Lakenheath, United...
Level Contributor
164 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: online booking for United Mileage Plus rewards +

Hi Glutton,

United linked mine and my dad's PNR's a couple of years ago when we had to buy seperate tickets, that way if one of us got bumped or delayed they would know we were together, but to be honest it was an uneventful flight and we did not notice anything different. It may be worth calling United and speaking to them and explaining what the problem is, the agent can waive the fee and as the web site does not allow this type of transaction (So you cannot complete it online) then IMO they should. You can always take the chance of booking the 2 seperate trips and using the seat mapper to get seats next to each other. They will still let you check in together even on different res numbers.

CGN
Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: online booking for United Mileage Plus rewards +

Another advantage of having them linked together is if for some reason the airline changes your seat assignment, they will know you are traveling with another person.

This has happened to me a couple of times on AA. My partner and I were traveling together but on seperate locator numbers but were sitting together and for whatever reason, they changed our seats (I think to accomodate a family) and moved us into seperate seats. When we got to the airport, we were no longer setting together. Now I always link them and have not had any problems.

6. Re: online booking for United Mileage Plus rewards +

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 pm, October 02, 2009