We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edreams - looks dodgy to me.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Edreams - looks dodgy to me.

Relative of mine just 'booked' some airline tickets using this 'company'. Then he got an email saying that they were 'holding' his reservation but would not actually book it until he sent them, wait for it, a "good condition" fax of his PASSPORT *and* his credit card....not the number but an actual fax of the card!

Needless to say, he has cancelled, because even if this is a reputable company (I had never heard of it before and there are only a few references here but nothing certain one way or another I could see) its a massive security issue for a company to be taking and then storing this kind of data. I must have booked tens of thousands of pounds of airline tickets & holidays over the years without ever doing this even in the very early days of the internet when you booked via email, not a secure web page.

I have never come across this sort of behaviour before for booking airline tickets over the net, and even if its genuine, and it certainly smells bad to me, its better to go by the adage , if it quacks like a duck,and walks like a duck....."

Any comments? Anyone dealt with these guys? Good or bad experiences?

Lakenheath, United...
Level Contributor
164 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Edreams - looks dodgy to me.

Hi Joe,

E dreams are a spanish travel agency and they have been around for a little while. The request does indeed seem very odd. I have on occasion had to fax a copy of my card to a travel agency (When i was booking a flight for a friend) and they asked for a copy of my drivers licence or similar so i sent a copy of my work ID which they said was fine (this was a Big Big travel company in the UK). It is a strange request and your right to be cautious. I would not do it again. Changing the subject slighlty i have an Ebay account and they recently asked me to fax my passport to Ireland so i could prove i was not someone else with a similar account name, i refused so they closed the account !!! Your better off booking with Expedia, opodo or similar or a high street agent !!

England, United...
Level Contributor
9,898 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Edreams - looks dodgy to me.

Hi, Jo

This sounds like a perfect scenario for identity theft and your relative was wise to forget the whole thing. Maybe their local Trading Standards Office could make some enquiries to see if other people have made complaints about "Edreams"

Melbourne
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Edreams - looks dodgy to me.

Hi there. Thank you so much for postng this. I have just a couple of days ago booked Air France flights between Paris and Lyon with edreams and was a bit concerned when they were meant to send an eticket but it looked nothing like etickets I have received in the past from Qantas and other companies, and looked more like a simple itinerary..?

They looked fairly credible from the website.. My credit card has been charged but I have today gone in to find it has been suspended and all my details unavailable. Naturally I am a bit worried (particularly after reading above). I will chase it up in the morning and keep people updated.

Melbourne
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Edreams - looks dodgy to me.

Hi there. Thank you so much for postng this. I have just a couple of days ago booked Air France flights between Paris and Lyon with edreams and was a bit concerned when they were meant to send an eticket but it looked nothing like etickets I have received in the past from Qantas and other companies, and looked more like a simple itinerary..?

They looked fairly credible from the website.. My credit card has been charged but I have tonight gone in to find it has been suspended and all my details unavailable. Naturally I am a bit worried (particularly after reading above). I will chase it up in the morning and keep people updated.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,238 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Edreams - looks dodgy to me.

have a look at the deals at the top of the page folks. Who is that? Have you checked this outfit out Mr Moderator?

I do not like the sound of the suspended Credit card at all.

What was that post that lien and Trav+ put up about an Aussie scam last week?

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,485 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Edreams - looks dodgy to me.

Okay, here's some info for you. My husband and I just returned from a week in France and a week in Italy. We flew into and back out of the Nice, France airport.

We booked our tickets with eDreams, and had absolutely no problems. I was a little concerned, but it all worked fine. I am an American citizen and was traveling to Europe, but at no time did they ask for documents. They simply issued the tickets and we had no problems.

The one issue was that I had to be very careful when looking over the itinerary prior to booking because several connections were in New York City, and they would have us landing at one airport in NYC and connecting at an altogether different airport in NYC, which we feasibly could have done, but did not want to do. So we chose the itinerary where we didn't have that issue.

I have only used this company once, this past vacation, but I would have no problems using them again. And they saved us about $600 over the cost of two tickets.

Hope this helps.

Vicki

Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Edreams - looks dodgy to me.

I made a booking with EDreams 2 days ago, and have just now recieved the same request for a scanned copy of my passport and the credit card I paid with. I sent them a response saying I thought their request was very odd and that I wasn't happy about providing them with that information. I'm now awaiting their reply.

The annoying thing is, I had a flight booked already, and I cancelled it (costing me 5000 frequent flyer points) because I found that the edreams flight was more affordable and at a better time for me. I should have just left my original booking like it was...

Cairns
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Edreams - looks dodgy to me.

My girlfriend just went to pay for an airline ticket with her creditcard on eDreams.com and this is what just happened:

First of all she received an email after completing the payment process with the flight information but it also had this warning added to it:

----------------------------------------------------------------

RESERVATION CONFIRMATION YOUR RESERVATION NUMBER IS: ******

Important !

We are currently checking a problem we have detected with your bank card during the payment process. As soon as we have verified that everything is correct we will send you a ticket as indicated in the section "Following steps." If it is not possible to complete the payment with the credit card provided we will contact you by email to inform you of how your ticket can be issued.

If we do not encounter any problems during the payment process, the ticket for this reservation will be issued in the form of an electronic ticket (e-ticket). The confirmation of the e-ticket will be sent as a second email to the email address specified below. You will not be sent any paper documentation.

Following steps:

Your reservation is confirmed but has not been paid. Please wait until we contact you again before making a new reservation. Your reservation is confirmed. You will see the details and flight itinerary below.

If we are unable to complete the payment with your card, we will send you a second email informing you of how to pay for your reservation.

If the data is exact, we will charge the ticket to your bank card and send you an e-mail confirming the purchase. Do not go to the airport before receiving the second confirmation e-mail from eDreams. This second e-mail will be sent to you once we have verified the exactness of the reservation and that your card has been charged for the corresponding amount.

Passengers must have a national identification card or passport for domestic flights and a passport for international flights. Some airlines reserve the right to request the bank card used to pay for the ticket. We recommend arriving at the airport check-in desk at least two hours before your flight departs.

Notes and Advice:

Carefully read the details of your reservation and if you see any incorrect information, send us an e-mail immediately to modification.cancellatio n@edreams.com or contact us by phone at 00800 55 88 55 00 (International Freecall: Lines are open Monday - Friday 9:00 - 20:00 Continental European Time) clearly stating that you made an incorrect reservation on the Internet and indicating your reservation number. We will look into the change or cancellation conditions of your reservation and if they permit it, we will look for the best solution to your problem. Remember that many prices have restrictions that do not allow any changes or cancellations and in many cases nothing can be done. Service fees will not be reimbursed.

If all the information is correct, it is not necessary for you to contact us.

Note: The specific administrative authorities will notify you of the formalities for your trip (passport, visa, vaccines, etc.). It is your responsibility to take care of these formalities. You cannot request a reimbursement if you are denied boarding because you have not presented the required documents (passport, visa, vaccination certificate, etc.).

Note: eDreams reserves the right not to issue a ticket or to ask for additional documents in accordance with its internal risk policy.

Following this email my girlfriend got this next email requesting sensitive credit

card & passport information to be send via a very insecure method... WTF???

Quote:

Email Originally written by eDreams.com

Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 17:25:59 +0200

To: Email Address Removed

Subject: ****** (Booking Number Removed)

Dear Customer,

Following your reservatin we're asking you to send us a fax of your passport as well as both sides of your credit card. If you do not have access to a fax you can scan the documents and send it to me via e-mail.

I would like to inform you that this is just a security measure used by edreams so we can cross check the information entered in the reservation.

Kind regards,

(Name Removed)

Departamento de Vuelos

******@edreams.com

Tel: 902 887 107

Fax: 902 505 506

Vacaciones eDreams S.L

www.edreams.com

I called their office and asked them if this was genuine request and a guy told me their security department does this to verify the transaction & for

the customer's peace of mind, but how is risking a customers personal data over an unsecured network good for 'peace of mind' for the customer?

Personally I am horrified!

I would really appreciate some feedback regarding

this stupid request... Sheeeeesh.... Im so confused !

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,238 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Edreams - looks dodgy to me.

There are two sides to this. the Pax's natural concern over ID fraud and security issues and the Agents concern with their protection in case stolen CC are used to buy tickets and then turned into cash. They then stand the rap when the Card Company "charges back"!

There is no way to square the circle.

I have been asked for the magic 3 digits on the rear of the card (which is why they want a copy of the back) and I get round the security aspect by phoning the Agent and when satisfied giving the digits verbally. I never foto my Passport to anyone EVER! (I think some agents are simply trying to ensure you have got one, if an Intnl flight, so we don't get "I was not told I needed a Passport by Flybynight tours! Never use them again!" posts on here!)

If you are uncomfortable, tell them so and if they do not budge walk away!

At risk of starting a whole new wrangle, who needs these people when booking with the Ariline is so much easier?

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,485 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Edreams - looks dodgy to me.

Personally, I needed those people. They were a few hundred dollars less per ticket than the actual airline was.

I will say again that I can only speak from my own personal experience (and if you'll look at the number of posts that I have, you can easily see that I have nothing to gain by 'pushing' this company), but we had a very pleasant experience with them, wouldn't hesitate to use them again, and saved several hundred dollars in the process.

Here's something to think about as well: you are aware that you have to call your credit card company when you are traveling out of the country, correct? Or they can freeze your card due to suspicious activity. I think it could be very likely that since a large charge from a foreign country (eDreams is located in Spain, I think) is showing up on your card, your credit card company may indeed have a problem with that.

I understand the company's need to authenticate information, although they may need to find a better way to do so.

Good luck...

Vicki