We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stanstead loses AA

essex/suffolk,englan...
Level Contributor
740 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Stanstead loses AA

As from july American Airlines will be closing the Stanstead to New york service.Another sigh of the times

Paris, France
Level Contributor
1,625 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stanstead loses AA

This annoys me they only opened this route to knock maxjet off the block added to the fact that they terribly old aircraft without in seat tellys shows to me that they had no interest in keeping this route despite most flights being full.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
15,982 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stanstead loses AA

Yup. That's the airline biz for you. Ryanair has been doing it in Europe for years.

essex/suffolk,englan...
Level Contributor
740 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stanstead loses AA

I used the service in April and for me it was really conveient.The flight to JFK was full but the return leg was only about a third full.Bizarre thing is ,it wasnt that long ago that AA added a second daily flight so i assumed the route was a profitable one.Im saddened by its cancellation.I liked the smaller ,easier accessable,smoother running,less congested airport that is Stansted.It felt like my holiday to the States started as soon as i left my front door.I hope another airline steps in although with Maxjets,Eos and now AAs demise im not holding my breath!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
755 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stanstead loses AA

Well I have to say I am gutted about this. We flew this route in March and it was completely full. I can't say I didn't see this coming though. With AA pulling out of Gatwick, they will want all there ops just out of Heathrow. It's sad that Stansted has gone from having Maxjet, Eos and AA with about 6/7 daily flights to the US (at one point) to now none at all.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
1,625 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stanstead loses AA

Maxjet is the best and best value flights I have ever had, Ihave flown business with many oter airlines but the staff and attitude of Maxjet beat evrything else hands down.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
57,406 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stanstead loses AA

I wonder what odds the bookmakers have on Silverjet continuing service through the summer.

As well, will this be a nudge towards devolution of BAA's stranglehold on the airports in the south east?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
58,794 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stanstead loses AA

I see a couple comments in this thread about the flights being full, but from what I've read elsewhere a full flight doesn't necessarily mean a profitable route.

For example, several airlines in the US recently cut back their service at Las Vegas, where planes were full, but full of people on cheap holiday fares. They didn't have the business-people "fat cats" paying to ride up front or buying last minute full-fare coach tickets. And the rising fuel costs made the profit margin a loss without those fares.

Is it possible the same thing happened at Stansted?

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
15,982 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stanstead loses AA

> Is it possible the same thing happened at Stansted?

Partly yes, but it's not the whole story.

I remember when the route was first announced and Jack and others were very excited. My comment was to wait and see what the fares would be like. Typically, from regional airports, they are higher.

As soon as the the low fare levels became obvious I knew exactly what AA was doing, as someone else has mentioned above. This was a loss-leader route designed to drive EOS and Maxjet out of business. Precisely as IrishFan says, those airlines were leeching many people who might have paid the top fares on AA. Well now they have no choice but to travel to Heathrow or Gatwick and pay over the odds for inferior service.

But as I said, all's fair in love and the airline business.

9. Re: Stanstead loses AA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 pm, September 29, 2009