We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heathrow "worst in Europe" says AA exec

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
15,623 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Heathrow "worst in Europe" says AA exec

Of course AA will be giving back their slots then, I don't think. A bit hypocritical really. Geese and golden eggs spring to mind. Of course improvements are needed badly, but if it was that bad, AA would pull out, and all the other airlines would not be falling all over themselves to get slots.

…yahoo.com/pressass/20080429/tuk-heathrow-ai…

"Heathrow Airport has been branded the 'worst in Europe' by a senior executive of a US airline. Don Langford, head of customer services Europe for American Airlines, delivered an outspoken attack on the west London airport, saying it was a 'bit of a dump' that suffered from a lack of investment"

canterbury
Level Contributor
161 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Heathrow "worst in Europe" says AA exec

Haven't actually used Heathrow for about 4 years now, but it was always the worst part of the journey. Hard to get to/away from. You could never calculate how much time you needed to get into the airport. We used to be travelling to HRW from either central London - a nightmare, or the SE - just as bad, still involved the M25 often dubbed the largest carpark in the UK!

I remember once trying to find seats to sit in before our flight left. I remarked to a member of staff that there seemed to be fewer seats than the previous year. "Yes" he replied "we took them away because people were sitting in them"...... so put more shops in instead....

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
364 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Heathrow "worst in Europe" says AA exec

Wife and I are just back from a month travelling, where we passed through Glasgow, Heathrow, Singapore (5 times), Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Proserpine, & Phuket Airports, and we both agreed that the worst were Glasgow & Heathrow.

Within 30mins of getting into Heathrow we were at each others throats as the staff (in all areas) had managed to completely p both of us off.

If it was possible to travel from anywhere else we would, but unfortunately options from Gla are limited so I guess we are buggered!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,474 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Heathrow "worst in Europe" says AA exec

Jambomcotter,

I think you have hit the nail on the head. Never looked at it this way but it is the Staff. The same applies at LGW where after only a few minutes I feel like strangling someone!

Nice Cat. Is it yours?

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
1,996 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Heathrow "worst in Europe" says AA exec

We recently flew Miami - Chicago - London. because of massive thunderstorms at Chicago flights had been cancelled or delayed all day. As a result we arrived at Chicago at midnight and were told we could get the next flight out at 8 am.

It was not worth trying to book into an airport hotel so the airport laid on simple cots and blankets for stranded PAX. These were very basic affairs and weere laid out dormitory style in a quiet wing of the terminal where the overhead lighting could be turned down. Very much emergency measures but it enabled us to get a few hours sleep. And they had a cop patrolling the area.

can you imagine Heathrow doing that?

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
15,623 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Heathrow "worst in Europe" says AA exec

> can you imagine Heathrow doing that?

They would just keep the shops open late!

16. Re: Heathrow "worst in Europe" says AA exec

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 am, September 27, 2009