We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

luggage ransacked at Cancun airport

Alberta
8 posts
Save Topic
luggage ransacked at Cancun airport

We have just come home from a trip to the Mayan Riviera. We stayed at the new Mayan Riviera Princess Resort....although very new there were a few things that needed to be sorted out but all in all very enjoyable stay. However the Cancun International airport is anouther story. We flew with Air Transat the attendents and the flight crew were amazing both coming down and going home but at the airport things were very scketchy..we had a red eye flight on the 7th of April...our family of 4 were not feeling overly well so we decided to fly first class or "Club Transat" as to be close to the washrooms if you know what I mean. There was a huge line up at check in and no one at the "Club Transat" counter. I found that kind of strange but only passed it off as a thought.We paid the extra money to upgrade. Our bags were labelled with huge red "Club" labels. (Could it be a sighn to ransack this luggage)

Our flight was early so there was little time till departure. We put our bags on the belt and sent it off.

Now earlier on in the day we had to have our luggage put into storage at the princess as check out was at 11:00 a.m. We did not leave the resort till 6:30 p.m. We put our camera into one piece of the luggage as not to leave it out.

We got our luggage at 4:30 where we commenced to use the shower service to get inot our travel clothes and freshen up. We opened our luggage and found everything the way we had left it. We put our bathing suits and stuff back into our luggage thinking we will just leave the camera in till we get to the airport. (Mistake, we travel lots and should have known better). As mentioned earlier we got to the airport and things moved very fast from there. We got on our plane at around 10:30 p.m.

We got to Calgary at around 4.00 a.m. We got our luggage loaded it in our vehicle and headed off to home which was still a three hour drive.

We got home at 8.00 a.m. unloaded our luggage when we discoverd our luggage had been ransacked. Our camera with all 400 vacation pictures GONE. The clothes were ripped apart. We open another piece of luggage...My jewellery bag was ripped open and thrown all over with pieces broke and bent...our clothes all ripped apart.

The attendents that work for air transat at the Cancun Airport may have been responsible as the Airport states the only people who handle your luggage at the airport are the people who you fly with hire. So Who did this......Why will you never find out? Why are there not security cameras to see this.

In these few short days I have talked to numerouse people who have all had things stolen from this airport. Especially cameras. Please Please people be careful of what you pack. and whatch closely at this airport. I have only memories of my family on this vacation with no pictures. So very sad.

We have contacted Air Transat. It took them 2 days to return the call and we have heard nothing since. One may want to check this company out on issues like this before flying with them. The upgrade cost us so much more then we ever new it would.

Alberta
8 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: luggage ransacked at Cancun airport

Final thought from tribac... I truly thought this forum was to warn people from things that happen to each other through travels. I had no idea it would be a forum of negative feedback. For the few who posted to understanding that privacy was invaded and stealing is stealing thank-you. Again at no time was this a post on sympathy. I've got so many things back from conveyor belts to whatever. I can only post what I saw and what happened to me. I only hope people will read the original post and understand the point that was being made. On that note I close this discussion and will only hope and pray that the things that happened to us do not happen to those whom are so ready to find fault then they are to find a solution.... End of discussion

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,634 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: luggage ransacked at Cancun airport

If you look back there is a lot of useful information in this post that will hopefully be used by others to reduce the likelihood of this happening to them.

I don't believe it has yet been said, but I think it is good that you contacted the airline to let them know what happened.

Perhaps it won't help you, but if pilfering is a chronic problem at the Cancun airport it may take more people complaining to change anything.

Even if they can't control the stealing one would hope if this is a chronic problem the airline should warn travelers of the problem in Cancun.

23. Re: luggage ransacked at Cancun airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 pm, September 25, 2009