We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Back to the Carry on luggage for Ryanair...

Sault Ste. Marie...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Back to the Carry on luggage for Ryanair...

I just did the centimeter to inches conversion. The carry on bag size is 55x40x20 centimeters which equals 19x15x7 ! That seems so small to me, like a high school student's back-pack size! We are trying to not check any luggage at all. We're a family of four, traveling to 7 cities over a month, with only carry-on luggage (and plans to do laundry often). Is this possible? Am I crazy?

I was looking on many sites such as rei and campmor, looking for appropriately sized bags. slim pickings! Suggestions on which one to buy?

Sault Ste. Marie...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Back to the Carry on luggage for Ryanair...

i forgot to mention that the 7 cities are in europe. we leave in june....

we're using a major airline to get there, and then ryanair to complete some of the legs.

London, United...
Level Contributor
755 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Back to the Carry on luggage for Ryanair...

The only problem with taking just one bag each for carry on is that you will not really be able to buy anything on your trip. Travelling for a month with just one 10 kilo bag does restrict you buying presents etc. I've just been to Spain for a few days and just took hand luggage. My bag was weighing 6 kilos going out and about 9 coming back. I would have been really stuck if I was going for longer.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,588 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Back to the Carry on luggage for Ryanair...

You would be better off travelling with Easyjet if you want to do this. Their carry-on dimensions are a standard size (yes, Ryanair's are smaller) and they have no weight limit as long as you can lift it unaided into the overhead lockers.

Ambleside, United...
Level Contributor
124 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Back to the Carry on luggage for Ryanair...

Also, what will you do about toiletries, cosmetics etc as you can't carry them in hand luggage.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,588 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Back to the Carry on luggage for Ryanair...

> Also, what will you do about toiletries, cosmetics etc as you can't carry them in hand luggage.

Yes, you can, just in containers under 100mls.

Sault Ste. Marie...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Back to the Carry on luggage for Ryanair...

and of course i booked everything before scrutinizing the fine print. i read it beforehand, but didn't study it. there is a difference. i just went back to scrutinize the questions list for my particular question. doesn't seem to be there. i opted for 0 bags, airport check in, since i was hoping to get away with only carry on bags. so if they determine my carry on is too big, will they check my bag at that point? i realize it will be yet another fee....i was just wondering if i should just buy a "normal" sized travel day pack and see what happens....

...or will i be told "sorry charlie, you can't fly today because you lied to us on your reservation." ! ;)

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,588 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Back to the Carry on luggage for Ryanair...

My advice is to buy a soft, backpack style bag that can be squooshed into the frame if the agent decides to make an issue of it.

A daypack like one of these might fit the bill: http://www.hssc.com/ProductMain.jspx

You will be able to check it in if need be at the airport for twice the fee.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,588 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Back to the Carry on luggage for Ryanair...

Something like this (http://www.hssc.com/ItemDetail?itemNum=54512) which is 19.0" x 13.0" x 9.0" you will almost certainly get away with. As I said, just sqooush it inro the frame if they challenge you!

Sault Ste. Marie...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Back to the Carry on luggage for Ryanair...

Thanks so much. I almost bought a Jansport Eurosak before realizing it was too big. I just viewed your suggestion and seems to fit the bill...

one other question for you since it seems you've been just about everywhere in Europe - since we're planning to travel light - we were also planning to mail our newly acquired merchandise back home so we wouldn't have to lug it around (and pay ryanair extra). Are post offices readily available for such a task? We'd probably mail stuff back on the last day of each city visit (before heading back to the airport...)

maybe it seems crazy but i'd rather give the money to the post office instead of ryanair. and plus we don't want to carry so many bags...

i'm not worried about this on the train legs, just the ryanair legs...

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Back to the Carry on luggage for Ryanair...

You'll have no problems finding post offices. Most will also carry boxes and other packing materials you'll need.

The one big issue is the cost. Postage prices are through the roof. The best value I found was in France (38euro for 7kgs), the worst in the UK (from memory 20GBP for 2.5 kilos).