We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Minneapolis to Winnipeg, Manitoba and back.

Michigan
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Travel from Minneapolis to Winnipeg, Manitoba and back.

On the way back home, will we be going through US Customs before we board the plane in Winnipeg or after we land in Minneapolis?

I just got one of those "schedule change" emails from Northwest Airlines and the problem is, when we land in Minneapolis, we only have one hour to catch our connecting flight back home to Grand Rapids, Michigan. If we have to go through customs when we land in Minneapolis and try to make our next flight, I'm not sure there will be enough time.

Some people are telling me we'll be going through customs before we board the plane in Winnipeg and some are telling me we'll be going through customs after we land in Minneapolis.

Which is it? Thanks for your help.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
7,099 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Minneapolis to Winnipeg, Manitoba and back.

Looks like Winnipeg has pre-clearance, so you will go through customs there. http://www.waa.ca/?pid=54

One hour is plenty of time in MSP, but you still could end up with a long walk at times.

Michigan
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Minneapolis to Winnipeg, Manitoba and back.

Thanks so much. This was the third time this happened with Northwest and each time we changed our flights in order to make sure we had 2 hours in Minneapolis - thinking we had to go through customs there. Now they are down to two flights from Winnipeg back to Minneapolis ... one in the morning and one at night.

Thanks again ... I'll check out that link.

3. Re: Travel from Minneapolis to Winnipeg, Manitoba and back.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 pm, September 24, 2009