We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AA Problems!!!

Arcadia, California
Level Contributor
2,627 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
AA Problems!!!

Recently, I flew on a 767 on American, which had broken seats! The seats in front of me had: extra recline (2 times more- and it seemed it was because the recline thing way broken), broken reclines ( if you lay back the back part of seat reclines automatically) and lastly, on a 757, smelly bathroom/ wet feeling seats.

In addition, we got a 5 hour delay last year on a 757 which was supposed to depart at 8 but instead departed at nearly 2PM.

Anyone every had this type of situation before?

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: AA Problems!!!

a delay!

really?

how unusual!

and manky conditions in the cabin as well.

u really did draw the short straw.

i would be writing to your senator or even mr. bush about this.

Rockaway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,721 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: AA Problems!!!

Anyone every had this type of situation before?

Welcome to air travel.

Arcadia, California
Level Contributor
2,627 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: AA Problems!!!

Lien:

TRUE! I want to tell AA about this BIG, ANNOYING problem... this is ridiculous!!! BOO AA on their 757 and 777 especially, but YAY AA on the 737- they do a good job on maintaining the aircraft and most of them are new (at the the ones we flew before)

TravelBug102:

I know... :) I waited 2 hours before, but not 5. We never have encountered an airline problem until last year. The annoying thing was that it was in early morning, and we arrived at 6 in the morning. And then saw the delay. SLEEPY. Everyone in the cabin wanted to sleep after the delay.

It's weird, however, to see differences. The AA737 are the best thing ever! The seats are good, windows are new, and the cabin is bright and airy. The 757 though is old, broken, and always smell (for AA at least). The seats are the old kind too :(. The 767 is a mixed bag of sometimes wonderful (only business and economy and no decicated stuff (the little section of " nicer economy" seats in which aa doesn't tell customers about) and sometimes awful feeling (this year with the new business class and the small dedicated economy section).

Arcadia, California
Level Contributor
2,627 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: AA Problems!!!

whoops! typo in which the second poster recognized. Every should be ever.

Thanks!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,404 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: AA Problems!!!

AAn AAirline with broken seats? AApalling. DelAAys? Unheard of on any other airline, I should say*!!

www.seatguru.com indicates that AA are planning to smarten up the 757s they operate, but the timeline is given only as 'starting in 2008.' The 767s vary from service to service, and I suspect some of the fleet is getting on a bit in years.

If you were given the choice of a five hour delay or fly in an unsafe aeroplane, I do hope you would make the correct (and healthy) choice. I know I would.

*waits for mfuwe to get stuck in here and be cheeky

CGN
Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: AA Problems!!!

Do you honestly think that American Airlines is the only airline with these kind of problems? Read the posts; they are all the same.

Delays, lost luggage, not clean cabins, and the list goes on and on. I'm not saying it's right but these are the times we are living with. These may be isolated cases or maybe a bigger problem but one thing is for sure; it's only going to get worse.

With some of the airlines now charging for an extra checked bag, no more food service on domestic flights except for a few airlines, the airlines nickle and dime us so they can make a profit.

I for one have had good service and not many problems with American Airlines; they are actualy my airline of choice. Some may disagree but you have to pick one so you can eventually earn elite status if you don't fly that often.

Sorry to hear about your problems, hopefully your next flight will be better regardless of what airlines you fly.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,598 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: AA Problems!!!

TrAAvelAAr Plus,

NAAH! U can have a clear run todAAY!

Arcadia, California
Level Contributor
2,627 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: AA Problems!!!

TravellerPlus:

Interesting. Anyways, my five hour delay was because that the airplane had a mechanical problem, and they couldn't fix it. Then, at 10 AM (so late!!!), they flew in a plane from Ft. Lauderdale. Can you believe it! They repaid us with 10,000 miles and 10 dollar food credit. But, they didn't give the 10,000 miles to the accounts that we have. :( Not honest.

CGN:

I agree with you that every airline has problems. Even the best ones. Broken audio equipment is usual for us, but broken seats are rare though.

We had 3 good flights with AA, and one was on a 767 ( which made us happy to fly a 767 again). But then, this time, due to a different layout and full flight (we flew on a empty (almost) plane last time :), the 767 was not great and was in so so condition. My best experience with AA was flying on their 737's. Comfy, new, and bright cabins, as well as 0 broken stuff on the plane. In addition, they would give out snacks for free! (this was a short 1 hour flight from Miami to a island). I didn't want to go away from the plane- it was good and unlike any other experiences on AA.

Boston
Level Contributor
5,681 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: AA Problems!!!

Many of the large US airlines (majors - not airlines like Southwest, JetBlue) still have a lot of really old planes. Of course they do have some newer ones as well, but many airlines are still flying a lot of older aircraft. Some of them are still flying DC9s. That is why they are rickety and stinky - and use a lot more fuel and create a lot of noise. If you ever took off in a DC10 you will know what I mean by rickety. We are flying planes here that are not allowed in Europe due to noise restrictions. Having said that they are deemed to be safe as long as the maintenance is undertaken on a regular basis.

Given the amount you have seemed to have travelled, you are lucky that you have not had delays like that before. If I were you, I would ask American to put the miles into your account - that does not make any sense to me.

canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: AA Problems!!!

american regularly has broken seats, reading lights etc. Its amazing they get certified to fly.

want a real airline fly an asian airline or BA