We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easier connect through Milan (MXP) or Rome with Alitalia ?

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
285 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Easier connect through Milan (MXP) or Rome with Alitalia ?

Hey Guys,

Is it better to connect through Rome or Milan's Malpensa when flying Alitalia. I am heading to Florence by the way...I am thinking that Rome will be a bigger hassle.

I do have two options for connection times though...

1. 1.5 hrs connect through Rome

2. 2.2 hrs connect through Malpensa

Last time I connected through Rome it took me 2 hrs to get through passport control and I nearly missed my flight..

...I think I may have just answered my question but I don't know how Milan's airport is so I am still asking your advice.

Thanks

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
168 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Easier connect through Milan (MXP) or Rome with Alitalia ?

I recently flew to Milan and must say it was a fairly simple ordeal. I didn't have to go through passport control, though.

There wasn't too much to do ... I would have gotten bored pretty quickly if I had to spend a great deal of time there. I would guess that it would be easier to deal with than Rome, though. Since the time of the layover isn't too long, I'd pick Milan just to have a higher chance of a smoother trip.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,612 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easier connect through Milan (MXP) or Rome with Alitalia ?

I'd get off in Rome and take the train. Much less hassle.

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
285 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Easier connect through Milan (MXP) or Rome with Alitalia ?

I pondered getting off in Rome and taking the train and then I realized I could fly to Florence for approx. the same price with just a couple hrs connection.

For some reason I thought it would have been more of a hassle to get from Rome's Airport...to the Termini Station and then get the train to Florence.

Am I wrong in this assumption?

Thanks

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Easier connect through Milan (MXP) or Rome with Alitalia ?

I'd stick with the Milan connection:) I've flown via this airport numerous times and although there's not much to do, it doesn't involve the chaos of a change in Rome (which I've also done!)..Malpensa, I found, is more 'organized' with some great little cafes/snack bars..limited shops but more 'civilized' (as civilized gets in an airport!) and definetely enough 'hangout time' for a 2.5 hour layover! Have fun..and Enjoy!

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
285 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Easier connect through Milan (MXP) or Rome with Alitalia ?

Thanks Litsa...I will do that.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Easier connect through Milan (MXP) or Rome with Alitalia ?

My pleasure:) Keep enjoyin'!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,612 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Easier connect through Milan (MXP) or Rome with Alitalia ?

It is just a matter of personal taste. The extra connection just gives Alitalia more time to lose your bags etc. From FCO airport outside Rome you take the train directly to Termini and then you change for the train to Florence. The whole thing will take your 1.5 hours waiting time,maybe just a bit more. I like to be in control so for me getting my bags and taking the train is better. You also get to see some countryside. Enjoy your trip! I love Italy!!!!!

8. Re: Easier connect through Milan (MXP) or Rome with Alitalia ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:20 pm, September 21, 2009