We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

paying tax/duty upon return to UK

Essex
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
paying tax/duty upon return to UK

Hello

Have looked at the HM revenue and customs website and says that you do not have to pay for any duty for total of goods worth under £145 if coming to the UK from a non EU country.

I will be coming back from America next month and plan to make the most of cheaper goods such as an Ipod, Nintendo DS, etc, all of which when totalled together will be worth over £145.

How do people get on declaring such goods in these situations? How much is the duty you have to pay? Or have I totally mis-read the situation?!

Thank you for nay help!

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: paying tax/duty upon return to UK

Some people will probably advise you to just keep quiet and walk through the Green "Nothing to Declare" channel.

However if you're bringing lots and lots of stuff or your ethics and morals make you want to declare these, then after you collect your bags go through the Red "Good to Declare" channel at customs. The agent there will ask what goods you are declaring and he/she will calculate the tax and duty due. I did this once bringing in a couple of cases of expensive wine. It was fairly quick and painless.

If you declare them, you will have to pay VAT at 17.5% on everything over your allowance. Plus Excise Duty on some things but not on others. Every item has a "tariff code" but different items have different codes. You can see a list of some common ones. The full web address is too long to post on TA so I made a TinyURL of it:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/39gvsx

Or you can piece this one back together:

customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/

channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel

=pageImport_ShowContent&id=HMCE_PROD_009989

&propertyType=document

If your things aren't shown then some big public libraries have a copy of the full tariff code book or you can call HMRC and ask.

Have a fun trip.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,075 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: paying tax/duty upon return to UK

Better safe than sorry. Use the Red channel and be free with your declaration. They are not looking to rip you apart and are often friendly and even lenient over 'personal use and pressies for Gran' items. They have Grans too.

If you are spot checked, and they are good spotters, in the Green, you will be fined and lose the goods too.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,487 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: paying tax/duty upon return to UK

I've heard HM C&E are really on the look out for certain flights coming back from the US at the moment. With the US$ the way it is people are going to the US on a cheap flight, hitting the shops in the US and loading up on stuff to sell on ebay back in the UK and running it through the green channel.

Depending upon how observant you are you'll see a good crowd of officers when certain flights come in. The ones you need to keep an eye out for are behind the one way glass...

Cambridge, UK
Level Contributor
426 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: paying tax/duty upon return to UK

Thanks for that list CheshireCat, pity the site seems to be aimed at the business user as that is just a common list of Internet items, how hard would it be for them to put up a fuller list online?

Interesting that Baseball caps have their own section, and I will be bringing a couple of them back definately.

mfuwe: I didn't know you could lose the items as well, doesn't seem to mention it on the HMRC website although I did find it funny that http://preview.tinyurl.com/7dojp puts your cigarrette and alcohol allowance seperate from the other £145 of goods you can bring back into the country. Missed out on making more money there surely.

The stuff I'm going to bring back will mainly be souveniers but as I'm away for nearly 3 weeks I'm going to have quite a lot of stuff.

Most people seem to be totally unaware that there is such a low threshold of what you're allowed to bring it so I'd guess hardly anyone goes through the red channel. Have people found this?

I'd probably look so guilty (for no real reason) they'd pull me over anyway!

But say I have £400 of gifts and souveniers I really don't feel like paying an extra £70 just to get them back into the country.

Cambridge, UK
Level Contributor
426 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: paying tax/duty upon return to UK

Actually I just rememebered, the limit is supposed to have been doubled to £290 by now. It was agreed in 2006 and I remember reading last year that it would have been changed by the time I go on holiday which is now next month, why hasn't that changed yet?

Here's an article from last October about it: telegraph.co.uk/travel/738591/Savvy-travelle…

Oh no, I just found out whats happening.

Not going to come into force until 1st December!

www.theyworkforyou.com/lords/…

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,075 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: paying tax/duty upon return to UK

The Booze and fags are seperately assessed from gifts. i.e. Allowance reads, xxx cigs or equiv loose baccy, 1 litre spirits, x litres of Table Wine and £145 worth of other goods. I am vague on amounts as I never bother carting the stuff around. I can get my booze cheaper at my destination and bringing it back causes security check problems. NO Liquids.

I am sure confiscaton is a risk if caught and/or a fine of twice the evaded duty. I never bother with expensive pressies (mean old ***!)but a friend of mine got hammered. Bought a whole load of stuff in Asia, posted his Credit Card chits back home in case of Insurance probs or for a record, and walked the Green channel. All went well. got home. About a month later he got a 'visit' from C&E at home."Been to Asia?" "Anything to say about what you bought with your Amex Card?" He lost the lot! C&E had opened his mail and found the Card receipts. It does not pay to buck the system.

Cambridge, UK
Level Contributor
426 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: paying tax/duty upon return to UK

I never understand people who bring back booze and fags on planes it can't be worth the hassle and weight really.

I'll be bringing back a laptop, ipod and camera from my US holiday but then I'll have taken them out with me!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,075 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: paying tax/duty upon return to UK

Me neither.

make sure you have evidence of purchase for laptops etc., just in case.(No pun intended.)

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: paying tax/duty upon return to UK

OpaqueEntity wrote “…how hard would it be for them to put up a fuller list online?”

Actually the full tariff is online but it’s quite a long technical document and does need a bit of expertise to get it right plus there is an annual fee for using it. IMHO is easier to read in it paper format at the library. I thought the simple list might serve for you. But if you want the full thing here it is:

www.uk-customs-tariff.co.uk/Login.aspx…

Dos cerveza, por...
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: paying tax/duty upon return to UK

Just ditch the receipts & packaging for the items that you can & fo through the green channel. HM Customs has enough out of all of us, especially after this last budget........