We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much time would you suggest to transfer planes in Bangok

los angeles
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How much time would you suggest to transfer planes in Bangok

My wife, son and myself will be flying in on the direct flight from LAX and arriving into Bangok I think around 6AM. We need to get to Phuket - I do not want to book a flight that is too close and worry about missing it but then again I do not want to have to wait for hours for a connection after flying for over 17 hours.

It seems like there are many experienced travelers who have gone through Bangok and all seemt to mention the long waits at immigration and the long distances to get around the airport - sounds like fun :)

Thanks for your reply's -

david hofflich

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much time would you suggest to transfer planes in Bangok

minimum 2 hours

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much time would you suggest to transfer planes in Bangok

also meant to add it's a pity you didn't book the lax-sin direct flight with sq and transfer to a phuket flight from there eg. with silk air, as changi is a dream to transit thru.

then u go thru immigration/customs in phuket itself.

saves a heap of problems associated with the new bangkok airport.

los angeles
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: How much time would you suggest to transfer planes in Bangok

Thanks Lien - good info to have

david

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
4,682 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much time would you suggest to transfer planes in Bangok

Hi

you must be flying Thai Air if you have a non stop from LAX to BKK

talk to Thai air they fly to Phuket not sure but you may be able to tie the phuket leg into your intenery

and not have to clear customs until Phuket

Check the Thailand forum for more info.

3 to 4 hrs should be enough time to get to next flight.

2 hrs if you are feeling lucky that day LOL

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
889 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much time would you suggest to transfer planes in Bangok

We have flown frequently from Sydney to Phuket via Bangkok and transit is very quick. You do not clear customs until Phuket and our luggage was booked straight through.This is assuming both legs of your flight are with Thai. It may be different if you're using other airlines. Thai has frequent flights to Phuket so even if your first flight was late you may be able to make a later connection. Just note you cannot take duty free alcohol onto the Phuket flight because of the liquid restrictions, but you can pick up duty free on arrival in Phuket - anyway, that was the case with our flight last year. Phuket is great!

6. Re: How much time would you suggest to transfer planes in Bangok

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 am, September 22, 2009