We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

gatwick to orlando with BA economy

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Topic
gatwick to orlando with BA economy

Anybody flown to Orlando on BA

We are going this july and wondered if anybody had any comments/tips

We are on a boeing 777

Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
98 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: gatwick to orlando with BA economy

Speedbird,

Maybe you can give me some advice then? As I said we are flying this Sept from Manchester to Denver via Chicago with BMI and United for the internal leg.

Is it worth trying to pay for an upgrade on the 2 1/2 hour (ish) internal flights with UA, as not sure what they are like on this route. Have read some iffy comment.

Also, been trying to find out (no luck yet!) though we are booked in Economy for the Man to Chicago leg with BMI, if allowed have you any idea if they allow people to upgrade to say PE on this route at check in, if yes any idea of £££. Have you ever flown BMI on this route? do you know if its a comfy ride in Econmomy?

Thanks in advance if you can advise..

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,319 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: gatwick to orlando with BA economy

I know the feeling speedbird. When you start being able to guess the airline and route by the seating configuration of the aircraft...

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: gatwick to orlando with BA economy

Hi Speedbird

Glad your online

I would be interested in paying for an upgrade to pe at checkin

I did it on virgin from manchester two years ago

It cost £100.00 each 2 adults 2 kids(pe on 747)

Any idea on BA

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,021 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: gatwick to orlando with BA economy

Maybe you can give me some advice then? As I said we are flying this Sept from Manchester to Denver via Chicago with BMI and United for the internal leg.

Is it worth trying to pay for an upgrade on the 2 1/2 hour (ish) internal flights with UA, as not sure what they are like on this route. Have read some iffy comment.

_________

It depends what you are upgrading to and on which aircraft.

Based on my experience with upgrading to E+ I'd say the upgrade would be $20-$25 per person each way if you can get it. It offers more legroom around four/five inches which for me, regardless of the length of flight is worth paying for. The one problem you may run into is Chicago-Denver is a very busy route for United and they have a lot of elite frequent flyers on these flights. United's elites can pre-assign seats in E+ (as well as those who pay a yearly membership for E+ Access) which may result in you not being able to upgrade at online-checkin as the seats would have all gone. I know they operate a number of types of aircraft on this route, one of them being an internationally configured 777. On this aircraft row 30 is an exit row seat in Economy Plus so you would be able to get extra room without 'upgrading'. However you won't be able to get them assigned in advance and I'm not sure how they are released for assignment. You might get lucky and BMI at MAN might be able to snag them. If not by the time you get to Chicago they'd have been snapped up. If you are on the 757 there are no exit row seats in Economy, you'd need to upgrade to Economy Plus to get better room.

Also if the flights are as part of one itinerary MAN-DEN then if you online check-in for your MAN-ORD flight on BMI you will be checked in for your UA flight at the same time. Then when you try to check-in on United's website for your ORD-DEN flight 24hrs ahead it will say you are checked in so you won't be able to arrange the upgrade. It has happened to me a number of times on mixed US Airways/United itineraries.

Also, been trying to find out (no luck yet!) though we are booked in Economy for the Man to Chicago leg with BMI, if allowed have you any idea if they allow people to upgrade to say PE on this route at check in, if yes any idea of £££. Have you ever flown BMI on this route? do you know if its a comfy ride in Econmomy?

I've not flown BMI longhaul before so am not sure. I'd say it is definitely worth asking as I am aware BMI have installed a new seat in PE. They have basically put their old business class seat in PE and shrunk the pitch a little. But it is still 49" between seats which is ENORMOUS for PE!

The BMI Diamond Club forum on Flyertalk is a very good resource. I use the website pretty frequently and it is a goldmine of info.

flyertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=486

Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
98 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: gatwick to orlando with BA economy

Speedbird,

Thanks for taking time to answer my questions, much appreciated.

Donnyboy, sorry to hi-jack your post, hope you have a lovely time in Orlando. Take good walking shoes!! and drink lots of water its VERY hot in July.

And take a pair of elasticated pants cause the food is very tempting with some fab buffet's and lovely steaks and god the apple pie is to die for..

Typhoon lagoon is wonderful, though the big wave can be quite harsh and send you all over the place, my knees where knackered from getting pushed over all the time..

There is so much to see and do we tended to do a busy day (lots of walking and seeing things, then next day more leisurely i.e stayed round pool at our villa (which was rented) and mooched round malls which are fab.

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: gatwick to orlando with BA economy

Not a problem

We have been to Orlando the last nine summers

but have always flown Virgin or Airtours

I flew on a 777 to jfk out of Heathrow

and was extremley impressed by their level of service

I know this is a premium route to jfk and therfore the reason for the post was to see if the service was as goodto Orlando. Virgin to orlando from my experience although very good is obviously holiday trade(older planes etc)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,021 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: gatwick to orlando with BA economy

BA do have more of a consistent "hard" product (seats etc) in the air than Virgin do.

The only blight on this is due to the problems with putting the new version of their Club World seat on the 777 aircraft but once this is done it should be a very standardised product. The IFE system is slightly different on a few of the 777s but that's about it.

If you flew Club World on a 777 to JFK it will be the same seating on the 777 to Orlando. You might get lucky if BA get round to putting the new seat in by the time you fly in July. On a few of the flights where Club World is the highest cabin you find the cabin crew are better than usual because there is no First. That's not guaranteed and just my opinion of the observations.

In short don't expect a downgraded service to Orlando because it isn't JFK.

London, United...
Level Contributor
130 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: gatwick to orlando with BA economy

BA in economy to leasure destinations like MCO = narrow smelly cattle trucks.

good luck!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,021 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: gatwick to orlando with BA economy

I would be interested in paying for an upgrade to pe at checkin

I did it on virgin from manchester two years ago

It cost £100.00 each 2 adults 2 kids(pe on 747)

Any idea on BA

It is unlikely BA will do paid upgrades at check-in for your flight to Orlando. They will most likely send you over to ticketing for an "official" reprice which, unless you've bought flexible tickets, would be fairly pricey.

Your best bet is onboard to ask a member of the crew to ask for the Cabin Service Director, they wear a grey tie/scarf. If seats are available in WT+ then you'll pay probably 150-200GBP each to upgrade from what I've read online.

On the way home from Orlando it might be easier. If the flight is overbooked then you might see placards posted at checked with cheap upgrade offers to WT+. In essence BA are trying to milk a little revenue from the overbooking situation rather than just giving away premium seats. I've seen these signs at a number of outstations but never at the London airports.

I'd say on the Orlando route though you might find WT+ to be pretty booked up. It is one of the cheaper routes for sure and WT+ is popular with leisure travelers.

BA in economy to leasure destinations like MCO = narrow smelly cattle trucks.

The aircraft BA operate to Orlando is the 777. Only one seat per row (in Economy) narrower than a 747. Their seating is no narrower than Virgin and only 3/4 inch less than American who don't even fly non-stop to Orlando.

I fail to see your point.

20. Re: gatwick to orlando with BA economy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:19 pm, September 21, 2009