We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help demystifying flight searches

Kamloops British...
Level Contributor
9 posts
Save Topic
help demystifying flight searches

Hi everybody,

I was wondering if you might be able to help me with a problem I am having with searching for flights. To search for them you need to know departure and arrival times and the code and name for the airports. I have been looking for flights from Vancouver BC to London England and a couple other flights as well. Should I be just looking at airline schedules to see rough approximate times first. I am getting nowhere because I don't know the information at the other end of the flight. I don't know how long the flight will take to enter arrival times and dates. I am not asking people to find a flight for me, I am only looking for tips to make my searches more effective. Thanks

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,255 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help demystifying flight searches

Which sites are you using? Pretty much every site I use (airlines own and online TAs such as Expedia) doesn't ask you to specify a time of day of your flight.

I'm yet to come across a website which throws a wobbly when you don't give them specific times that match up with the flights.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,050 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help demystifying flight searches

YOu NEVER need to know departure an darrival TIMES to search for flights. You just put in the DATE of Dep. and DATE of Arr. and they tell you the flights and times. To compare flights and costs you can use a site like www.kayak.com and then go to the airline web site to check as well.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,896 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help demystifying flight searches

Some airline websites do ask if you'd rather travel between, say, 0600 - 1000 or 1100 - 1500; some ask if you prefer morning, afternoon or a search for flight times all day.

What I've found almost inevitably, though, is that adding those parameters changes very little when it comes to providing available flight info from YVR to Wherever.

Quick and dirty: AC has two afternoon / early evening departures from YVR, arriving at LHR late morning / early afternoon the next day. Those are the only direct flights; others connect through YYZ or YUL, usually with an early morning or mid afternoon departure from YVR, then the red eye from the east coast.

BA's flight 84 departs at 2035; from late May through Sept BA86 departs at 1715 (approx), arriving at either 1350 or 1110 the next day. Can you guess with which airline I fly the most?

Not sure about Air Transat and Zoom, as they fly to LGW; I think their departures are early evening, arriving in London mid morning the next day.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,050 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help demystifying flight searches

Of course you are right. There is a difference between being asked for a preference and knowing the exact times of flights.

London, United...
Level Contributor
256 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: help demystifying flight searches

Assuming that you know roughly when you want to travel and how long you want to stay, go to

matrix.itasoftware.com

and select on "month long search". Enter the city names and the time period to search.

You can't book through this site, but it will give you a good idea as to what flights and fares are available. The lowest fares are usually found by booking direct through the individual airline's site.

6. Re: help demystifying flight searches

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 pm, September 21, 2009