We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day or night flight- Which would you choose?

Preston, Lancs
Level Contributor
67 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Day or night flight- Which would you choose?

We are travelling to the US in summer and are about to book our flights. We live in the NW of England so plan to travel Manchester to New York return with domestic flights up and down the US during our 3 week stay.

This is our first long flight with children aged 7 and 14, who don't have much experience of flying

We have a couple of options for our return leg home. Either a non stop 7 hour night flight direct to Manchester or a 1 stop day flight leaving 08.30 to London (the 1 stop being an internal transfer back to Manchester)

From a jet lag point of view, which would you recommend?

Thanks

Herefordshire
Level Contributor
533 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Day or night flight- Which would you choose?

Given the choice I would always choose a nightflight with children. It makes it so much easier, they board the plane, eat their meal then sleep until breakfast, leaving you to time to try and sleep for a few hours as well.

When we flew to NZ recently we did the flight without a stopover going out and didn't suffer too badly with jetlag, however coming back we stopped for 3 days in Hong Kong and jetlag was terrible, it took us about 7 days to get back to normal.

Have a great time in the US.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Day or night flight- Which would you choose?

I'd say it depends on the traveller...and in this case it seems you don't have enough flying experience to ascertain your susceptibility to jetlag.

I've done dayflights eastbound across the Atlantic and find them to be quite good but you do waste a day of your life just sitting on an aircraft.

I don't find sleeping on planes to be much of an issue and don't get jet lag so wouldn't mind taking an overnight flight. If it is going to ruin three days of my life afterwards I'd take a dayflight.

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,249 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Day or night flight- Which would you choose?

I like night flights, but my routine is to take daytime flights.

When flights are delayed, you have to consider hotel reservations. So, with morning flight delays, no problem. But at night, you have to be concerned of notifying the hotel for late arrivals.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,654 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Day or night flight- Which would you choose?

From experience with my own children, I would guess that nothing will make them grumpier than arriving in London, only to find that they are not yet home and have to change to another plane. Absolutely take the night flight straight to Manchester!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,544 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Day or night flight- Which would you choose?

<<< Irrespective of the time of day (or night), a direct flight beats changing planes any day (or night). One hop, one stop. at lreast you have only two choices of where your luggage may be. >>>

I agree with this.

Plus, with the time change involved in this situation, you're body's going to be a little confused, so even if you took the day flight, you're going to be tired the next day anyway.

Another vote for the night flight.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Day or night flight- Which would you choose?

Plus, with the time change involved in this situation, you're body's going to be a little confused, so even if you took the day flight, you're going to be tired the next day anyway.

________

Quite the opposite. When flying overnight eastbound you are trying to get a nights sleep in a short period of time, and if flying economy in an uncomfortable seat.

On a dayflight you aren't trying to sleep and thanks to an often early start to catch these flights (most dayflights eastbound I've taken leave at around 8am) and the fact flying tends to tire you then you arrive in Europe quite weary ready for a bite to eat and go to bed.

17. Re: Day or night flight- Which would you choose?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 pm, September 11, 2009