We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 hours connex in Atlanta -ATL-

London, United...
Level Contributor
136 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
6 hours connex in Atlanta -ATL-

I will be traveling with Delta from London Gatwick to Orlando in April and will have 6 hours connection at Atlanta airport (ATL).

Does anybody knows if there will be enough time for a walk in downtown Atlanta. Also is there any bagagge deposit to leave our stuff at the airport?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
52,451 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 hours connex in Atlanta -ATL-

Having spent two of the past 3 weeks in Atlanta for business, I can't honestly say there's much there to walk around and see.

Timewise it's "doable", I suppose, with a fairly quick subway ride from the airport to downtown. But unless there's something you really "need" to see, I wouldn't to it.

It could take you 90 minutes to do baggage claim, customs and immigration. Then another 30-45 minutes to figure out the train station and get downtown.

So you might have an hour in town before you have to get back on the train and get back to the airport and go through security again. I'd recommend a day pass to Delta's Crown Room instead. You're likely to find it much more relaxing.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,203 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 hours connex in Atlanta -ATL-

You can take the MARTA into the city but personally I wouldn't bother. Bearing in mind you've got to clear immigration and customs at ATL, take the train into the city, then go back to the airport and reclear security you won't have much time to see anything.

You'll do best just to buy a one visit pass to the Crown Room Club for $25 if you don't have access already.

Your luggage will be through checked to Orlando so you don't need to worry about that, except claiming it and passing through customs. Just toss it on the transit belt. Not sure about carry on bags.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
19,022 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 hours connex in Atlanta -ATL-

A six hour layover will probably not be enough time to explore downtown Atlanta. Once you land, it can be up to an hour to get through international customs - sometimes more depending on how many other internation flights land at same time. Then you'd have to pick up your luggage (you can drop this off at connections straight away for your next flight). You would then have to make your way to the MARTA stop at ATL, where trains are pretty regular to downtown - I believe they are every 10-15 minutes. Journey time is around 20 minutes there and 20 mins back. Once back at airport you would then have to go through security again, which can be another hour. So, would leave you about two hours in downtown.

There are plenty of restaurants or bars in ATL for you to while away your time.

Also, if you are on flight DL11 arriving at 2.45p.m and your flight to Orlando is at either 8.00p.m (DL92) or 9.25p.m (DL1637) you could always try and get on one of the earlier flights to Orlando, at 3.30p.m; 4.30p.m or 6.00p.m; just inquire at the Delta information desk.

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,172 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 hours connex in Atlanta -ATL-

To answer the second part, there is no carry-on storage at ATL that I am aware of since the lockers went away.

Lompoc, California
Level Contributor
354 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 6 hours connex in Atlanta -ATL-

Loonbeam is correct in that there are no longer any private storage lockers at ATL (or any US airport really). However, there is luggage storage at "Wrap-a-Bag" in the North and South terminals at ATL. Go to the ATL website,(http://www.atlanta-airport.com/) and click on "customer service". On that page, look on the left and click on "Lockers and Storage". It will tell you how it works. Rates can be found by clicking on the "wrap a bag" webpage.

That having been said-- I was born and raised in Atlanta and it's a great place for a two or three day visit-- Stone Mountain, Cyclorama, Grant Park, Underground Atlanta, Coca-Cola Museum, early post-bellum homes etc--but there is very little to see walking around two hours downtown that you wouldn't see walking around any large and impersonal city. Check out the terminals and see which have the best barbeque instead.

London, United...
Level Contributor
136 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 6 hours connex in Atlanta -ATL-

Many thanks to everyone for the replies.

Having read that I have decided to stay put at ATL and find a nice restaurant to chill out.

Thanks again!!

G

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,142 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 6 hours connex in Atlanta -ATL-

We love the Atlanta airport and often plan our flights so we have a longer layover. Our favorite restaurant is Pascal's. There is a cafeteria style restaurant in the A Concourse and a sit-down restaurant in B, I think. Ask someone, everyone who works in the airport knows these restaurants. They feature good home-style true southern cooking. Try the fried chicken and collard greens.

Then, you can walk around. There are all kinds of interesting shops. In fact, until just last month I stocked up on my bare minerals make-up when we were in Atlanta and I could go directly to the store in the airport and replenish my supply. We now have a similar store here in our town.

We live about 5 hours from Atlanta and visit often. It is a great city, but I cannot really think of what you would do if you just took the MARTA downtown. I would have lots more fun hanging out in the airport.

Waupaca, WI
Destination Expert
for Gay Travel
Level Contributor
618 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 6 hours connex in Atlanta -ATL-

If you like classic junk food, take the MARTA subway to the Varsity. It's a landmark hot dog place in downtown and 25 min train from the airport.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,142 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 6 hours connex in Atlanta -ATL-

Absolutely! You have not "been" to Atlanta unless you have had a hot dog at the Varsity.

10. Re: 6 hours connex in Atlanta -ATL-

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 pm, September 12, 2009