We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

American Airlines - empty seats.

london
Level Contributor
385 posts
1 review
Save Topic
American Airlines - empty seats.

I am flying on a 767 (or 737?!) either way it's the 2-3-2 formation from Stansted to NYC next Wednesday (27th!) business is full but I looked at online at how full the plane is (by looking at the change seats option) and about 90% of the three groups of seats are empty, also a lot of the two seats are empty. I doubt very many people will book in the space of the week.

Just wondered if the plane does fly as empty as this then are we allowed to spread out? Say I sit next to my friend in the three seater and she sits in our original two seater??

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
15,016 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: American Airlines - empty seats.

Yes. But be quick, as others will have the same idea.

And it's a 767 bBTW.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,827 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: American Airlines - empty seats.

Seat maps are a bad indicator of empty seats. Many people will not have seat assignments yet. Even if the seat map only shows half full, it is possible the flight is oversold.

Once the door closes you are pretty much free to move around the cabin.

Must be a 767 - 737 are narrow body 3-3 configurations and typically not used trans-Atlantic.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
15,016 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: American Airlines - empty seats.

> 737 are narrow body 3-3 configurations and typically not used trans-Atlantic.

Except by Globespan!

www.airlinequality.com/Forum/flygspan.htm

london
Level Contributor
385 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: American Airlines - empty seats.

Yes it is a 767! So is it best to wait until everyone has boarded and move before take off or after take off??

Well it showed all the seats that have been booked, when I booked online it automatically assigned my seat but I changed it so I assume it is showing most of the booked seats????

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
15,016 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: American Airlines - empty seats.

Not everyone assigns their seats when booking. For example, if you book through some third-party internet sites, you won't be able to. And some people don't bother or don't know how. It's amazing how fast those supposedly empty planes start to fill 24 hours ahead as on-line check in kicks in.

I would move as soon as possible You have an advantage in that there are two of you, so once it looks like boarding is nearly complete, move! The worst that will happen is that you will go back to your original seats. If a row of 3 is free, grab both aisle seats. Then move again if that is possible.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
53,584 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: American Airlines - empty seats.

You might also ask at check-in what the "real story" is for the empty seats and they may be able to assign your seats in an area with lots of "empties" around you.

But as already noted, you can't rely on the seat map for capacity, there could be many with no assigned seat yet.

Kansas City, MO
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations
Level Contributor
1,026 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: American Airlines - empty seats.

I have booked several times through third-party internet sites and have always been able to pick my seat, and get assigned seating.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
15,016 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: American Airlines - empty seats.

> I have booked several times through third-party internet sites and have always been able to pick my seat, and get assigned seating.

I am sure you have. That's why I said "some".

Kansas City, MO
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations
Level Contributor
1,026 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: American Airlines - empty seats.

Maybe I've just picked the right third party sites to book through (-:

However, even with pre-assigned seats, I have been able to move to another seat when the plane isn't very full. One flight coming back from Tampa, we were in very stormy weather, quite a turbulent flight and I was sitting in front of a first time flyer that was gripping my seat back and literally screaming every time we hit turbulence, which was quite often. After about 20 minutes of this, I had to move!

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,773 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: American Airlines - empty seats.

Book your seats now so that you are assured of acceptable seating in the unlikely event that the flight fills up. Keep checking on seating using the "change seats" option to see how things are going.

When you board, take your assigned seat. The flight attendant will tell you that you may change your seats after everyone is boarded (i.e. when the doors close). At that point, you will be able to spread out as you like. Be quick, as others will have the same idea.