We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BA -World Trav. Euro Trav baggage

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,760 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
BA -World Trav. Euro Trav baggage

I've tried to get a firm answer from BA, but have so far failed to do so.

Here's the question or problem.

Suppose I book a return on BA from Denver to LHR. On that one (either flight) I'm a World Traveller on that, and am allowed to check 2 bags.

I then stop in the UK for a few days, and then go on to Budapest, returning to the UK after a couple of weeks. On that one,I am a Euro Traveller, and am allowed one checked bag.

While it's sort of irrelevant, I then stop in the UK again for a few days before returning to Denver.

OK - I understand all that. I can deal with it, and just did, last November. It really meant that I actually could have only one checked bag from Denver and had to make sure that my purse, etc, would fit into my carry-on, as it would have to on the LHR-BUD flight. No big deal.

But here's the question I can't get BA to answer. My actual e-ticket for this lot (all on the same ticket) stated that I could have 2 checked bags even as a Euro Traveller.

I can understand that if one were continuing on, and having baggage checked through. But if, as I was, stopping over, what happens?

Frankly, I didn't want to argue about that at airports, so I managed with one all the way. (A small one, as I can't handle a big one.)

I can't seem to get a clear answer on this from BA. Have any of the rest of you encountered this, and what happened?

Thanks

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,397 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BA -World Trav. Euro Trav baggage

Stick my neck out here. The rule is that on split flights/one ticket the higher checked baggage allowance works for the whole itinerary.

Carry on is per sector and at that time transiting LHR, or any BAA, you would have only one carry on.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,538 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BA -World Trav. Euro Trav baggage

Carry on is per sector and at that time transiting LHR, or any BAA, you would have only one carry on.

Not any more :)

britishairways.com/travel/…en_us

As mfuwe says, my understanding is that if it is on the same itinerary, even if you stopover you should be allowed the greater of the two.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,397 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BA -World Trav. Euro Trav baggage

But not "at that time" i.e. November 2007 which is when it happened.

Best wishes.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,760 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BA -World Trav. Euro Trav baggage

Thanks.

I wasn't refering to carry-on. I was refering to checked bags. As I wasn't checking bags all the way through to Budapest, I wasn't sure how this would be treated. That's why I decided I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Wish I could get a straight answer from BA though, as I might be repeating this this coming November.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,397 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BA -World Trav. Euro Trav baggage

Does this extract from BA Website help?

"You will receive the most generous allowance on connecting journeys with British Airways, where you have purchased one ticket your whole journey (a through ticket).

Where separate tickets have been purchased for a connection, the individual allowances will apply.

When travelling to a destination that involves British Airways and another carrier, the baggage policy and any associated excess baggage charges of the first international carrier will apply. If British Airways is the first carrier, and the subsequent carrier's allowance is more generous, then the most generous allowance will apply. "

Not as specific as you would like when considering 'broken' journies but I cannot see you encountering difficulties. Are you asking the local BA agent in US or going through their website www.ba.com ?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
58,163 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BA -World Trav. Euro Trav baggage

Unless your ticket indicates DEN-LHR-BUD and BUD-LHR-DEN, then the most generous baggage allowance will not apply.

If you have separate tickets for LHR-BUD and return, then your baggage allowance will be for that of a pax in ET, and the North American allowances will not apply.

So it depends on your ticket, and if there is that London stopover built in. It sounds as if you've booked two separate journeys, though, as usually travel in Y allows one stopover only, either outbound or inbound.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,397 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: BA -World Trav. Euro Trav baggage

The OP said " My actual e-ticket for this lot (all on the same ticket) stated that I could have 2 checked bags even as a Euro Traveller."

If it says that on the ticket and on BA's website then that is what will apply.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,397 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: BA -World Trav. Euro Trav baggage

<It sounds as if you've booked two separate journeys, though, as usually travel in Y allows one stopover only, either outbound or inbound.>

Out of curiosity and in the interests of research coz I may try something similar shortly I did a mock booking for next October DEN-LHR-BUD-LHR-DEN using an arbitrary week between each leg. It worked fine and the price was US$1,476 inclusive.

I chickened out at the pax name page but it is reasonable to assume that two bags will be fine on each sector as per the website. No doubt the single ETicket would confirm this..

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,760 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: BA -World Trav. Euro Trav baggage

It was all on one ticket. (Book multi-city)

Problem was that the web-site said 1 bag for the two Euro-Traveller legs, and 2 for the two World Traveller ones. The e-ticket said 2 bags for all four flights. So - which is right?

Does that clarify things a bit?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,397 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: BA -World Trav. Euro Trav baggage

Hey! I am not confused. BA's Website and their Eticket say two bags. That's what applies.