We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

round the world ticket

brisbane
Level Contributor
86 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
round the world ticket

Just curious if anyone has used a round the world ticket before and has any tips.

Our plans for our honeymoon are to go from Brisbane, Australia to Singapore to London (then Eurotrain over to Paris then up to Amsterdam) then fly over to New York then on to Las Vegas and back to Brisbane.

We have got a few quotes but was interested in any tips on getting the cheapest prices and any pros and cons of this style of ticket.

thanks

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,013 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: round the world ticket

I bought a Star Alliance RTW ticket 3 years ago. There are different price levels depending on milage.

This is a great way to see the world. Your intinerary is very possible and can be done with Star Alliance - I'm not familiar with Oneworld.

Sunny Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,367 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: round the world ticket

Although the various alliance fares are good they are usually not the cheapest.If you are in a frequent flyer scheme they certainly can be the best for you.

I advise looking up www.bestflights.com.au and seeing what they have to offer there are some combos available there for around $A2000.

It is very important to read all the conditions and have them explained to you if you are unsure because all these tickets do come with restrictions.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,297 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: round the world ticket

Have a look at www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/forum.jspa…

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
18,969 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: round the world ticket

Hi there, as far as I am aware, Oneworld do not have a RTW trip planner. There is one on the Star Alliance website, which is very flexible as to which cities you would like to fly through.

Sunny Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,367 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: round the world ticket

They certainly do and it is listed on their website at www.oneworld.com

There is also a world map with timetable available which is also useful in planning oneworld trips.

Other sites that are useful in planning are

http://gc.kls2.com/

and http://slfft.allhyper.com/0.95/award.htm

brisbane
Level Contributor
86 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: round the world ticket

Thanks all, you have been really helpful. I am in the midst of planning it all and it can get pretty overwhelming, so these sites help too,

thanks!!!

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: round the world ticket

Tic,

For the sake of comparison to the prices you're being offered elsewhere, scroll through the specials available here;

www.bestflights.com.au/cgi-bin/203/flights…

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
103 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: round the world ticket

Hi tlc73,

We recently bought RTW tickets and found that Best Flights offered the best prices. We went with Star Alliance. If you go to the Star Alliance website at staralliance.com/en/…mileage_calculators.html you can download a trip planner that allows you to select the individual legs of your journey and calculate the miles.

We did this then sent the info to Best Flights for a quote. Someone from Best Flights rang us and discussed the options and it was all very easy.

Good luck.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: round the world ticket

One of my friends has just set off on a round the world trip, booking flights through Great Escapade:

http://www.thegreatescapade.com/

His flights are mainly with Singapore Airlines, Air New Zealand and Virgin Atlantic but there are other airlines used in the same group.

He chose them on price and because it offered mainly direct flights for his routing.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: round the world ticket

Often (not always) those tickets have a pre set 'travel direction' such that you have to keep going in the direction you started ..in your case, West. So you might get a better price if you arrange the European section so that London is last. That also has the advantage of minimising travel time as well.

Check that you can also have an 'open segment' (not sure if thats the official designation), because if you have a leg like Amsterdam-Paris-London and you miss the Paris-London bit and take the Eurostar train instead, that may invalidate the rest of the ticket.

BTW, dont go out of you way to take the train thinking its scenic or something (as some other posters have assumed) its not, its definitely the best way to travel between centre of paris/centre of London purely because its fast and less stressful, but if you get a free Paris-London trip thrown in with your ticket dont turn it down without being sure thats what you want to do- cheapest single train fare Paris-London is about £60-£7 I believe.