We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air China Flights

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
3,143 posts
309 reviews
Save Topic
Air China Flights

I will be traveling from JFK New York to Beijing. The flight will be direct 13.5 hours. I would appreciate information from those of you who have traveled this length of time on what to expect; on ways to deal with this time on the flight. Thanks in advance.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air China Flights

u "deal" with it from a mental point of view by just slowing down or preferrably switching off. no use looking at your watch every five minutes or becoming absorbed in the "where are we now" screen.

other than that take a book or two, an ipod, watch a movie or three, eat (even tho the food may be less than inviting) go for a walk and and a stand about down the back, sleep, think and relax and it will all soon be over.

btw 13.5 hours is not that long. sydney to london is around 22.

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
4,682 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air China Flights

HI

On long international flights I pretend it is sunday and i am going to set and watch football all day long. LOL but depends if your plane has seat back video screens you have lots of movies to watch if not then I usually try and sleep

Usually you get two meals on flights that long.

some flights turn off main cabin lights betwen meals and ask for quiet and to keep window shades down so to keep it dark for those who want to sleep

Main thing is to not stress or worry about time it does go fast. try and drink lots of fluids and eat light snacks.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,228 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air China Flights

I fly annually LAX-TLV which is about 14 hours non-stop.

It's important to begin hydrating a couple days BEFORE your flight. Also, avoid alcohol and don't short change yourself on sleep before your flight. This will also help minimize jet lag.

On the plane it's pretty much keeping yourself busy with something or dozing. Noise cancelling headphones work really well. Walking around the cabin is good to do but please don't grab the seatbacks of people as you go by.

Good luck!

Dr. Z

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
3,143 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air China Flights

Thank you.

5. Re: Air China Flights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 am, September 17, 2009