We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heathrow overnight

Andalucia
Level Contributor
61 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Heathrow overnight

Can anyone recommend hotel near Heathrow? Important to get taxi easily and as cheap as possible as will need to get taxi for 6am flight next day. Also want hotel with good restaurant where we can have meal previous eve on arrival from Spain. Thank you.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
15,325 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heathrow overnight

A word of warning. If you are arriving at Heathrow and want to take a taxi TO the hotel, expect a VERY unhappy taxi driver. They cannot legally refuse to take you, but he/she will have waited a long time in the expectation of a big fare into central London, and will be upset at a £5 job to a local hotel. Going to the airport by cab from the hotel will be OK.

Also, wherever you book, make sure it's within the M25. Taxis charge a huge supplement to cross "out" of London.

That said any of the options around are good. I would go by price personally.

Andalucia
Level Contributor
61 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Heathrow overnight

Thanks for that. Will need hotel with shuttle bus I guess to get from airport to hotel on arrival.

Cambridgeshire...
Level Contributor
2,941 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heathrow overnight

Plenty of hotels provide a shuttle bus, I really wouldn't worry.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Heathrow overnight

Most big chain Hotel brands are actually 'on airport' and have either courtesy bus or link via shuttle.

all prices catered for. And do not accept Rack rates. Bargain hard. Some of the up market places are suffering at the moment and will discount if pressed especially if dining too.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,328 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Heathrow overnight

BAA don't allow airport hotels to provide shuttle busses at Heathrow. You use the 'Hotel Hoppa' which is an airport provided bus service that runs to the terminals. They have nine routes and you just need to find out which bus goes to your hotel. It costs £4 per person each way and is pretty regular.

There is a way round it though. BAA subsidise local buses (they are red as opposed to the white Hoppa buses) so that it is free to travel from the airport property to the perimeter road. These buses stop at a central bus station in the middle of the T1,2,3 complex. You will need to walk out from the hotel to the bus stop (some are right outside the hotels on the public roads) and then walk from the central bus station to the terminal you fly from (It is close to Terminals 1,2&3).

As for hotels it depends on which terminal you arrive at. The Hilton at Terminal 4 is connected directly to the terminal and quite a pleasant stay, although you say you arrive from Spain so I'm guessing it is either Terminal 1 (BA) or Terminal 2 (Iberia). In this case you might want to try either the Sheraton Skyline or the Radisson Edwardian Heathrow.

TravellerPlus, can't the taxi drives get a pass to go back to the front of the queue when they return to the airport if they do an airport hotel run? Or am I getting mixed up with somewhere else?

Andalucia
Level Contributor
61 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Heathrow overnight

Wow! Thank you all so much for all this information! Perhaps I am not understanding the web sites correctly but I dont think buses run at 4am to the airport, or the underground either come to mention it, which is time we need to check in at Terminal 2.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,328 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Heathrow overnight

You won't need to check-in at 4am. Flights don't operate round the clock at LHR and security doesn't open until 5am IIRC.

In my admittance I don't ever fly from T2 but Heathrow isn't that busy first thing in the morning so you won't need to get there hours ahead. I've flown from Terminal 1 at 7am a number of times and have turned up at 6.30am and have had time to go and get a cup of coffee and a bite to eat. Admittedly I wouldn't advise you follow my lead on that but getting several hours ahead is just going to have you sitting around waiting for check-in or security to open.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
41,386 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Heathrow overnight

We usually stay at any of the 3 holiday Inns or 1 Crowne Plaza to get priority points. BTW has anyone stayed at the new Travelodge at Terminal 5 yet. Would be interested to know what its like, as got a £9 room in the offers for August. Thanks.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,328 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Heathrow overnight

Bronia, Terminal 5 doesn't open until the end of March.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
41,386 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Heathrow overnight

Hi Speedbird,

Thanks for that but I think the hotel is already open and my booking is for August. They just emailed me offering the room for £46.00 BTW. See you still been unable to change it back BTW. It worked for me though.

Regards,

Bronia