We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Non-refundable US Airways tickets to Italy

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Non-refundable US Airways tickets to Italy

I've purchased 4 non-refunbable round-trip tickets to Italy for a family vacation in June 2008. After the purchase was made I found that my father has cancer and consequently the trip may not occur. Do I have any options to get my money back? I'm not a frequent traveler and I'm not sure how all this works. Thanks for any insight you provide.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,199 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Non-refundable US Airways tickets to Italy

Call them and explain just like you have here.

My feeling is that you may only be able to get your father's ticket refunded, and I'd say that is only if medical professionals say it is inadvisable to fly. Obviously it depends how sympathetic the person on the phone is to your plight.

A few years ago my wife and I were due to fly BA but my wife was involved in a serious car accident and her neurosurgeon said it was inadvisable to fly a few months later. My wife was able to get her non-refundable refunded without question. It took a couple of phone calls to get the refund processed but it was certainly possible.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,544 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Non-refundable US Airways tickets to Italy

If you have travel insurance, this is something they *may* cover. I assume your father was not planning on joining the trip, but your children would not really enjoy Italy knowing that Grandpa may not be alive when they return?

If you have cancellation insurance, check your policy.

Otherwise, you could contact the airline and hope for some sympathy. At best, they may let you reschedule, although that may be difficult given the uncertainty of the situation.

Technically, though, in the black and white of airline policies, no, you can't get your money back. Non-refundable is non-refundable.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,856 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Non-refundable US Airways tickets to Italy

Non refundable on most all of the US based airlines is non refundable BUT you can make changes on most depending on the type of the non refundable ticket, however you would also pay a change fee for doing so. They would let you delay, not cancel the trip.

However, if a medical emergency happens, sometimes they will refund the ticket if you have proof that you and your party are unable to travel on the dates scheduled. Call the airline, explain the problem and find out what your options are.

Hoofddorp, The...
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Non-refundable US Airways tickets to Italy

see email

regards

wiki

5. Re: Non-refundable US Airways tickets to Italy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:20 pm, September 16, 2009