We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Star Alliance

Allentown...
Level Contributor
84 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Star Alliance

I want to book travel for June from US to Spain on TAP Air Portugal. I have over 30,000 miles on both US Air and United airlines.All 3 of these carriers are part of Star Alliance. Am I correct in understanding that I can use 25,000 and book one way on TAP via United's/Star Alliance....then use 25,000 to book one way for my return via TAP on US Airway's/Star Alliance?

Thanks in advance for the advice

southern new jersey
Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Star Alliance

rshillman - how did you make out with booking your trip? I have 140,000 AmEx membership award miles, and $170,000 USAirways miles - hoping to transfer the AmEx into "star alliance" and then use the USAirways on "star alliance" also for booking a few free tickets to Greece next year. I was told to book exactly 330 days in advance and hopefully I will be able to find the very very few seats that planes now allow to use for frequent flyer tickets. Advice anyone??

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,545 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Star Alliance

330 days in advance is EXACTLY when you want to book. As early in the day as possible too. Make sure you transfer the miles in time to post, that can take 4-6 weeks or more (I've heard of 3 months)

Allentown...
Level Contributor
84 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Star Alliance

Missnancy,

I learned that I could not combine points from US Air and United toward a single Star Alliance reservation, nor was I able to split my reservation in two, as they required a minimum of 50,000 points for even a one-way trip. In the end, I was able to transfer smaller amounts of points from some hotel points "clubs" over to US Air, and paid cash for the shortfall in points to bring my USAir balance to 50,000 points. Then booked my TAP Portugal flight reservation by calling USAir and giving them the TAP flight info. They gave me a confirmation number and told me to call TAP the next day to get a second confirmation number and my seat assignments. The round trip flight cost me $425 in cash including taxes and points purchase fees (for a flight that my friend paid full fare of $1102). I took my trip to Spain in June and it was marvelous. TAP Portugal was a good airline to fly with. In conclusion, I was a happy traveler.

PS: The purchase of points was immediate, the transfer from my hotel accounts took a few days, but I would allow plenty of lead time.

Good luck and happy travels.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
895 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Star Alliance

Thai also allow you to purchase points but there is a maximum number (can't remember what it was). It was cheaper for us to do this for a return flight to Bangkok business class than buying an economy fare and then using points to upgrade.

15. Re: Star Alliance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 pm, October 06, 2009