We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Silverjet

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Silverjet

Has anyone had any experience with Silverjet airline. We are planning to book a flight from NY to London and then get to Dover for a cruise ship. Is it difficult to get anywhere from Luton airport?

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,881 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Silverjet

Silverjet is brilliant. The service at Luton (check in, lounge etc.) is better than at NY, but the service on board is fantastic for the price.

They are quite reliable, but I would be a little worried about depending on them to get me to a cruise without a couple of days' buffer just in case, because they have no spare capacity to cover for contingencies, and the next flight in the event of a cancellation would be the following day. BA or Virgin, for example, could still get you out the same day if they cancelled your particular flight. But if you give yourself a day or two it shouldn't be an issue. If you really want to fly in the morning of your cruise departure there is a small risk you might miss your ship.

Luton is well-connected. You will be given a complimentary cab to the rail station where trains go to the newly renovated St Pancras International, new home of the Eurostar. From there you will need to transfer to Victoria, London Bridge or Charing Cross (cab is the easiest) for the train to Dover Priory.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,723 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Silverjet

I think there's such a thing as being too careful too; look at reviews for Silverjet and then go for it! We take that chance whenever we fly a smaller airline, and the big guys are not that great about backup aircraft anyhow.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,881 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Silverjet

It's not a question of back up aircraft. It's the fact that if one of Continental flights from NY to London gets cancelled, there are several others the same day that you can probably get on. They could also get you on a Virgin, Delta or Northwest flight. The point is you simply have many more options in the event of a cancellation with a larger airline that is part of a big alliance, and it is something to consider if a non-refundable cruise holiday is at stake.

London, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Silverjet

They've got a January sale.

Can't comment on reliability etc. but you could look at Skytrax which has passenger reviews of all the airlines:

http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/seats.htm

www.airlinequality.com/Forum/silverjet.htm

Very good site.

London, United...
Level Contributor
416 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Silverjet

Hi Mary,

We have flown twice now with Silverjet - the first time they cancelled our flight at 10pm the previous evening!!!! We eventually got to New York courtesy of Upper Class on Virgin Atlantic after a very long wait at Heathrow!!! That was for our Silver Wedding Anniversary trip to New York, so you can imagine how upset I was....

Anyway to be fair they gave us two free return flights which we used just before Christmas and they were on time both ways. Service on board was excellent and for the price of around £1000 you can't better it, especially as Maxjet has now gone out of business. I do agree, however, with the previous poster who suggests not cutting it fine. We stayed overnight before our flight both ways, just to make sure! You know the saying, once bitten....

The lounges are fine - don't expect BA or Virgin Clubhouses - but they are comfortable and have sandwiches, wine, beer, champagne etc., etc. The taking away of your luggage and passports is also a nice touch so no hanging around in a queue. I would say Yes, but stay overnight in either Luton or Dover that way you will be sure to make your cruise.

Best of luck

Rap x

6. Re: Silverjet

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:21 am, September 14, 2009