We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheated by Travelguru

Hyderabad
1 post
Save Topic
Cheated by Travelguru

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am a very frequent traveller, around 15 - 20 days in a month I am on the move. For quite some time I am doing my hotel & flight bookings through Travelguru. The most recent one is my Mumbai booking in Hotel Orritel West. The booking ID is TGU0000049676. The amount debited from my credit card for booking in this hotel is Rs 12903/- . However at the time of checking out the hotel staff issued me a invoice of Rs 11,220/- & said that since I have been overcharged by Rs 1683/- ,I could ask Travelguru for the refund or adjustment in future bookings. But the Travelgurus customer care person Mr. Ross said that it is not possible to refund as they have not overcharged.

I sincerely do not have the time to fight over this issue as I remain very busy . However , I want to warn people to be careful when dealing with Travelguru. Indeed , I am travelling to Dubai in January 08 for a medical exhibition in which I thought that if the package siuts me then I could also book that package through Travelguru .But now this is not possible.

Thanks ,

Sanjay Agarwal

Director

Magnatek Enterprises,

Toronto
Level Contributor
147 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheated by Travelguru

That is why you should have checked what the price would have been had you booked directly with the hotel. Many agencies tack on extra costs that may be booking fees, maybe their commission....but since you chose to book through them and agreed to pay that rate, I would bet that in their terms & conditions it will state that you are not entitled to any refund....may not seem fair, but maybe now lesson learned?

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,370 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheated by Travelguru

That's what I was thinking mum. I don't know travelguru specifically, but with Orbitz, Expedia etc. you contract for whatever the price is when you make your reservation. If the price went up Sanjay would not have been happy to pay the extra charge.

The only thing I don't understand is why the hotel would present a bill showing a credit balance like that. I have never been to Mumbai, so maybe things are done differently there, but as I recall when I have pre paid hotel rooms there are no dollar amounts on the bill. It just reads paid by Priceline or pre paid or something to that effect. If there is a dollar amount it is whatever I paid zeroed out.

If the hotel had never provided the bill like that there would not have been a problem.

Note that this is Sanjay's first post and the way he posted the letter as opposed to a personal message to forum readers, my guess is we will never hear from him with a follow up.

Allowing travelguru or any third party internet or bricks and mortar travel agency to make your reservations may be convenient, but may not be the cheapest way to go. People should realize it may cost something unless you are willing to do the work to compare prices.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,143 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheated by Travelguru

I checked rates at yahoo.ca/finance: Rs 1683 is equivalent (figures rounded up) to $C44, $A48, £GB21 and $US42.

What puzzles me is if Mr Agarwal earns more than Rs 1683 an hour, and spent more than an hour speaking to Travelguru's phone agents and writing his letter here, he will have lost out for the time spent.

I wonder if Travelguru adds a fee for service for hotels and flights booked at the website which could account for the difference, although it's a fairly hefty fee.

Just a thought - the Hotel Orritel West may book rooms at a higher rate through Travelguru than if booked directly with the hotel.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,139 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheated by Travelguru

I stopped using Expedia and all other online third party booking agents when I was stranded in a dismal hotel in South Beach without a reservation. After three hours of negotiation we ended up in a flithy room, and the ancient bed linen had the name of it's first owner stamped on it. We were sleeping on the sheets that a mental hospital had deemed unfit for their patients!

I book direct. I shop hard for airline prices, playing around with dates, different airports and different times of day. A Tuesday flight can be half the price of a Wednesday flight. A red-eye is always cheaper than a 9:00 am.

When I book my hotel I never, ever pay rack rate. I barter. I ask for the cheapest rate available, then I offer AAA cards and any other discount coupons I may have picked up. Occasionally I wait until about 7:00 pm and do a walk-in. If it makes a difference between not renting the room at all, or renting it for 25% less, registration agents are often empowered to make those adjustments. I have been doing this extensivey for more than four years, and I have never paid more than what Expedia, Orbitz, et. al. were quoting.

If I am traveling to a popular location at peak time (which I avoid like the plague) I make my reservation as far in advance as possible and show up at the hotel as early as possible. During crowded periods rates go up, and guests who register late are often shuffled into a hotel of lesser quality because the original hotel was over-booked.

I understand this process is time-consuming, but not difficult. As I am retired, and delight in nothing more than getting a great room for a great price, or a good flight for a low price time is not a factor for me. So, I offer my services to friends and family. While I will make note to avoid Travelguru, I would also suggest to Mr. Agarwal that he enlist the help of someone on his staff or in his family who can manage his travel arrangements.

5. Re: Cheated by Travelguru

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:22 am, September 15, 2009