We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manchester ~ New York

liverpool
Level Contributor
73 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Manchester ~ New York

Hi

Thinking of going to New York for 7 nights as a surprise for my wifes 40th and need a bit of advice as regards which airline.I have the choice between BA,Delta,Continental,American Airlines,US Airways or KLM.

I'm leaning towards KLM,any info and experiences greatly appreciated.

Thamks.

Mark.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,891 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manchester ~ New York

Cannot see why you would want to go via AMS and KLM. Nice airline but you have the layover to add to your journey.

Top of the also rans are BA.

Have you looked at going on the all J class flights from Luton, Silverjet? that would the lady nicely. (Unless you were going J class anyway.)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manchester ~ New York

I can't understand why you'd choose KLM which requires a change, as well..unless the fare beats out the others! If that's the case, go with the shcedule/fare that's best for you...but try avoiding USAir.. and if you've really got a choice, got with BA:) Enjoy!

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,541 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Manchester ~ New York

At present, Continental has the best fares from Manchester, I know, Have booked for January for my 40th!

London, United...
Level Contributor
755 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Manchester ~ New York

I would even pay slightly more money to fly direct from MAN - JFK/EWR rather than flying in the wrong direction to connect at a European hub. Obviously if the price is much lower with KLM, AF, LH etc then it may be an option but surely a direct flight with CO, DL, BA or others will be a better option.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,977 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Manchester ~ New York

Have you checked Aer Lingus via Dublin?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,891 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Manchester ~ New York

Nice thought about going via Dublin (at least it is in the right direction,)but it still means a change of plane which just increases the chances of connections and luggage problems. Unless the cost is considerably less, it is not worth it.

And I have not mentioned you know who?

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,541 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Manchester ~ New York

Yes, but you get the chance to drink a 'real pint of Guiness'!!! Worth the stop over!!!! lol

liverpool
Level Contributor
73 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Manchester ~ New York

Thanks for your opinions folks.The reason why i was thinking of KLM is i've been long haul with them before and found them to be very good! Friends of mine have said that they would never fly BA again and to try every alternative,also i've read some terrible reviews of the American carriers mentioned.I just looked at Aer Lingus site and they appear to stop flights 31/03/2008 !

I can see the point about adding 3 hours journey time to what is after all only a 7 hour flight so it will more than likely be direct from Manchester.

Thanks again.

Mark.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,891 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Manchester ~ New York

I've flown BA regularly without problems. AA to Dallas and San Diego was more than acceptable. My Aunt goes AA LGW to Raleigh every year and loves it.

I would guess Aer Lingus don't want to look too far ahead and a stopover in Dublin is not really worth a glass of the real stuff.

Even a so so flight of 7 hours passes quicker than a better flight with stopover.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
15,972 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Manchester ~ New York

A word of warning about Continental (which would normally be my choice). Make sure that you are not on a 757. Apart from that they are the best choice, and Newark is a much better airport to get through than JFK.