We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

KLM website

England
Level Contributor
157 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
KLM website

For a long time now - years - I have had to go down to the library to use their free internet access, to book my own air tickets with KLM.

This is because KLM does a browser-detect when you first hit the site, and on my old computer with out-of-date browser, KLM simply didn't work for me here.

I've just got a new computer (default browser=Safari) and, getting my priorities right, it was the first site I checked. All seemed ok.

Today, however, I went to book a ticket. KLM's site was nearly as hard as usual. Ages to display a screen. Nothing happening. Screens blanking before my eyes.

I reluctantly downloaded another browser (Firefox) and Lo! KLM works for me, here.

Question: why on earth are KLM so hostile to browsers which milliions of people use? Why don't they test their on-line booking mechanisms on routinely-used browsers? And since they so obviously do so, why don't they warn you = help you?

GRRRR.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,612 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: KLM website

Maybe they just don't like what you say about them?

I have used KLM Website forever and no problems at all. But then I have no idea what downloading a browser, firefox safari actually does.

I currently have 20 Airline Websites in favourites (there's a contradiction) and all work well.

Try Emailing them about the problem. Unlike many airlines you will actually get a reply.

Hoofddorp, The...
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: KLM website

Hi there.

This is what s on their website......

(.......)

Is my Internet browser compatible?

The KLM website is compatible with most commonly used browsers.

The www.klm.com website is equipped to handle the most commonly used browsers and platforms:

Internet Explorer 5 and 6, Mozilla and Safari in combination with a number of different versions of Windows (95, 98, NT, 2000 and XP) and Mac platforms version 9 and 10.

If you have problems with your own browser, you can download the latest browser versions

(.......)

And there is a contact form as well....

Regards

Wiki

England
Level Contributor
157 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: KLM website

Hallo Wiki

That's absolutely not the case.

The KLM website did not work on Mac OS 9, using either IE 5.1 (beyond which no upgrades are possible); or Netscape or iCab.

I had to go down to the library for years to book my own tickets, using their PCs. I don't know what versions of operating system or sofware they use in the library, only that they work.

Now I've got a new iMac, OS 10.4.10 (Tiger) and Safari 3.0.4, it did work but badly - as described. Ages to display a screen, pages blanking etc. etc. I have now downloaded Firefox and it finally works as it should.

Thanks for replying anyway.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,319 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: KLM website

I only use Firefox on Mac and PC. It is the best and most reliable browser.

However, far more annoying than what the OP experienced with KLM are websites that *insist* you use Internet Explorer to function properly, because of scripts, flash, java etc. I simply avoid those websites but I do keep IE in reserve for when I absolutely have no choice but to use one of those sites.

England
Level Contributor
157 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: KLM website

Air France's website is (chooses word carefully) strange, too.

Before I downloaded Firefox, I tried to book my air tickets there, then. The logic being that they are partners. They are as far as Flying Blue is concerned.

Air France offers Norwich as a departure airport. Air France do not fly from Norwich so I naturally assumed it would look up KLM flights for me.

Having keyed in the dates, all it offers is "morning/afternoon/evening" and then came back and said "There are no flights available".

The Heck There Are!

Why, Air France, do you offer Norwich on the list of choices, then, hmmm?

gk
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: KLM website

I've seen travel websites that only worked on IE on a PC. So frustrating!

Hoofddorp, The...
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: KLM website

Hi

Please don t kill the messenger .......

I just quoted what KLM has on their website.....

And furthermore, I put in the remark that there is a contact form too......

so contact them if you are not happy with their performance....

It s in the services tab, and then technical tab on their website,

Regards

Wiki

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,217 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: KLM website

Sounds like operator error to me.

England
Level Contributor
157 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: KLM website

<Sounds like operator error to me>

Oh? Is that a sarcastic way of saying that I cannot operate KLM's website on one computer yet I can on another?

Tell you what. You come here, to my office, and try to get KLM to load on the old computer then. You'll have a long wait. Better bring some sandwiches.

10. Re: KLM website

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 pm, September 13, 2009