We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DTW- Parking and New Terminal Completion Date??

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,235 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
DTW- Parking and New Terminal Completion Date??

I did go to the DTW website, but it was lacking in the following info and wondered if anyone could help:

1. The new terminal says 2008 for completion; when in 2008?

2. Does Northwest still use McNamara?

3. We will have to park for 10 days. Other than park and fly at a remote, far away lot, where is it convenient, quick and are there coupons anywhere online?

Perrysburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: DTW- Parking and New Terminal Completion Date??

Hi itryalot,

Yes, Northwest still uses McNamara (and as far as I know there are no plans for that to change). McNamara is considered a "new" terminal, as it was pretty much rebuilt/remodeled/expanded just a couple of years ago. I actually love flying out of McNamara...it's a beautiful terminal. There is long-term parking directly across the street from the terminal...just follow the signs as you enter the airport. It is very convenient and quick, but I don't know where you could get on-line coupons. As for when Smith terminal will be completed (if that's the one you're talking about), it may say 2008, but when I flew out of there a few weeks ago it looked like they have a long way to go.

Jo

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,875 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: DTW- Parking and New Terminal Completion Date??

Northwest, along with Delta and Continental fly out of McNamara. Air France, British Airways, Lufthansa, Royal Jordanian and any other international carriers I'm forgetting also fly from there (old terminal does not have customs/immigration).

Parking in the McNamara deck is up to $17 or $18 a day now - not a good choice for long term parking. I would recommend an off-site lot. I use Airlines parking, but have also used US Park. You should be able to get a coupon rate of $6-$8 a day off site. Big blue deck (attached to old terminal) is $9/day. I hate that deck and will never park there again - shuttle service is horrible and you can still be a 20 minute walk away from the old terminal.

The new north terminal was supposed to be finished in late 2008, but may be delayed. The only change in airlines will be in the non-skyteam international airlines (everyone except NW and AF) will move to the north terminal when they have an immigration/customs facility.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,235 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: DTW- Parking and New Terminal Completion Date??

Thanks to you both. We would love to park in McNamara, but I don't know if we can justify that much money as opposed to off site.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,875 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: DTW- Parking and New Terminal Completion Date??

Offsite may be faster anyway. US Park, Airlines Parking and the others follow you to your car and put your bags in the van (tip a dollar or two each). They drop off in the parking deck of McNamara. You then take an escalator or elevator up to the walkway that goes over the road between the terminal and deck.

If the McNamara deck is crowded you might end up on the far side of it where you have to schlep your own bags all the way to the terminal. If you do park there, I recommend section 7C - close to the elevator, one level up from the terminal and right by the exit for when you get home.

Perrysburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: DTW- Parking and New Terminal Completion Date??

You're so right, Tev9999 about Blue Deck...I parked there for the first time a couple of weeks ago and never again! Even though Blue Deck was the first parking lot we came to when leaving Smith Terminal, we went right past it and visited all of the other parking lots at the airport before finally returning to Blue Deck. Took about half an hour to do the circuit and load/unload everyone's luggage. You're also right about McNamara being quite expensive...it's just so darn convenient if you're rushed for time. Appreciate the info on those other parking lots, which I've never tried. I'll keep them in mind for my next trip.

6. Re: DTW- Parking and New Terminal Completion Date??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, September 13, 2009