We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight booked myself cheapest

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,235 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Flight booked myself cheapest

We have travelled to Europe, in Canada and throughout the US as well as in Mexico. Friends swear by sites such as Orbitz, Expedia, etc and now for the past month I have been using Yappa to track flights with over five airlines.

Well, after much searching, comparing and recording of information, we just went ahead and booked our flight from Detroit (DTW) to Ft Myers and returning from FLL yesterday. I was shocked and pleasantly surprised to find out that it was cheaper for me to book directly on the airline website than to go with a travel agent or third party website.

Secondly, I was expecting to have to fly with Spirit for the best schedule and deal. Low and behold, Northwest was even less expensive and no dealing with paying for bags (I hope) and not great service (again, I hope). When we told our traveling companions, they were thrilled.

When we have gone anywhere in the US, Canada or Mexico, I have yet to use a third party website or a travel agent for flights. Now, I will say this, we always have to travel at peak times because our traveling friends are in educaiton, and we book ahead to make sure we get the flights, hotels and resorts we want, so this may be why. I do see last minute deals which are really good with those other websites though.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight booked myself cheapest

This market is everchanging and the big consolidators are surely taking a punch as many are reverting back to dealing direct with the carriers thru online bookings, eticketing, etc., at a better rates! I used Expedia/Oribtz (I forget which now!) a number of years ago, only once, and also do find booking directly with the airlines, on their sites, is best all around...and usually..if not any less expensive, the same:) I can only speak for my experiences utilizing carriers such as AA, Jetblue, Olympic, Aegean, LOT, Swiss,..all in the last couple of years..and found all had the best rates direct:) Don't know how true this would be for ALL carriers out there..but so far, so good:) Enjoy!

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,527 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight booked myself cheapest

Generally speaking, for advance purchases, booking direct via the provider's website will be the cheapest for general fares.

If you are looking for consolidator fares, of course, thats not an option.

Yapta is probably one of the best sites for that kind of stuff out there I have seen.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
11,324 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight booked myself cheapest

I have had the same experience. Generally I find a price on expedia and the airline matchs it. On my recent trip to Vegas Northwest had the cheapest flights and I found a great package deal on nwavacations, combining air and hotel. nwavacations is Northwest's travel site.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,235 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flight booked myself cheapest

OK...I thought maybe I was missing out on something. Yes, I am using Yapta (spelling mistake). Seems odd when you read the number of threads and hear the number of people using a third party. It, in theory, should be the cheapest, cutting out the "middle man".

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
14,600 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flight booked myself cheapest

Recently I discovered that although an airline's logo may appear at the top of the screen, one might actually be using a service such as Expedia/Orbitz without knowing about it. Smaller airlines contract the booking services of these guys. It's a very strange world!

6. Re: Flight booked myself cheapest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 pm, September 13, 2009