We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baggage Weight Restrictions

Fond du Lac...
Level Contributor
576 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Baggage Weight Restrictions

Okay, I'm confused! I'm flying to Dublin to meet my daughter; we'll spend a few days in Dublin and then fly to Athens for a week and then home. According to Aer Lingus, my 2 checked bags can total 80 lbs. But the British Airlines (serviced by Aer Lingus) flight from Dublin to Athens says my checked bags can only total 44 lbs. (Just to clarify, I booked the flights separately to save $$ so my round-trip is actually Milwaukee to Dublin and then Athens to Milwaukee. I booked the Dublin to Athens flight separately) Anyway, is there an exemption for the inter-Europe weight restriction when coming from a non-European country? If so, how will my second flight (Dublin to Athens) know this? (Geez, I just re-read this post and it's confusing to me AND I know what I'm asking!!!) Thanks!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,042 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Baggage Weight Restrictions

There is no exemption from the weight restrictions. Each airline can have their own rules. I know it is very confusing. Be glad you are not traveling through Heathrow where you are also only allowed 1 carry on item.

Ireland
Level Contributor
1,930 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Baggage Weight Restrictions

44lbs should be fine for a week and a bit. If you buy lots of souvenirs, just mail them back from Dublin, postal rates for packages are one of the few reasonable things in this city!

Plus don't forget your carry-on allowance - though limits on that are much tighter in Europe than in the US or on US carriers.

Fond du Lac...
Level Contributor
576 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Baggage Weight Restrictions

Thanks for the info. I think everyone under 25 knows all this high-tech stuff but I can still remember using a manual typewriter!

Fond du Lac...
Level Contributor
576 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Baggage Weight Restrictions

Oops disregard previous post. I was replying to something else. (Guess I really can't handle this high-tech world!)

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Baggage Weight Restrictions

Your problem is that you made 2 separate bookings. If you'd made them in one originating in the USA you would get the full USA limit all the way (I think). If a trip originates outside of the US, such as your second flight from Dublin, then the rules for that take off point will apply.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
889 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Baggage Weight Restrictions

These problems with different weight allowances for different countries is why we get RTW tickets and come home via the States. That way we get a much higher allowance, permitting us to buy things that are much dearer here.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,585 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Baggage Weight Restrictions

Numbat is correct. If you want the US allowance to work in Europe or elsewhere you usually need a through ticket. Imagine how many pax on Dublin-Athens would invent a US leg otherwise.

Still you saved $$$!

Fond du Lac...
Level Contributor
576 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Baggage Weight Restrictions

Who knew that saving $$ one way would cause a problem another? (ie booking flights separately) I'm going to just go with the lesser weight limit so I don't have to worry about it. The only problem will be my daughter (she'll be studying abroad in Dublin next semester) AND she's a pack-rat. Guess she'll either have to cough up the money to ship stuff back OR donate most of her clothes to a local charity!

Lesson learned - get on the chat forums BEFORE making reservations! Thanks

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Baggage Weight Restrictions

Or talk to a travel agent.............. (but we won't go there - again!)

10. Re: Baggage Weight Restrictions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 pm, September 13, 2009