We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AirTran, Spirit or other

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
AirTran, Spirit or other

We are doing a search for cheap flights to and from ft lauderdate and ft myers and detroit.

Questions:

Does spirit charge for all bags? Where does it say that?

What about air tran?

Anyone flown both; which is better?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
143 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: AirTran, Spirit or other

I flew from San Francisco to Detroit on a red eye in August. Spirit lands in the older, crummier Detroit terminal, FYI. If you need to change terminals you have to take a shuttle.

Spirit does charge for all checked bags, I think it's $10 at the airport per bag or $5 if you pay ahead on line. It's clear on the website when you book. They also do not serve food for free, not even a snack, so bring your own food! They only serve water for free. The planes are just like any other, I wasn't overly impressed or unimpressed with Spirit.

No experience with AirTran.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
52,340 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: AirTran, Spirit or other

I wouldn't fly Spirit if it were free - waaayyy to many stories on the 'Net and in the media about canceled flights, pulling out of some markets, and of course their infamous CEO comments:

ceosmack.com/2007/…

Kansas City, MO
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations
Level Contributor
1,024 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: AirTran, Spirit or other

Haven't flown Spirit, but have flown AirTran into Florida, never had any problems. Good flight, good cabin crew, cramped plane.

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,167 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: AirTran, Spirit or other

I've flown both. Given the choice, Air Tran, their planes are newer and they have a few more amenities.

Spirit is the greyhound bus of air transport. They will generally get you there, but its not necessarily going to be a fun and exciting journey.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: AirTran, Spirit or other

It is not a super long flight, so we don't care too much about ammenities. Are they all crammed like sardines?

It looks like I can fly with one there and the other the way back and I would get the best deal.

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,167 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: AirTran, Spirit or other

Air tran is a LITTLE less crammed then Spirit, not much. Air tran has better seats comfort wise tho.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
3,472 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: AirTran, Spirit or other

I flew on Air Tran once from St. Louis to Orlando, was overcharged by almost $300 dollars (three tickets involved), and had to spend two and a half hours emailing and talking to various custom service people over a two week period to get things worked out. You would think with an email confirmation with the proper fare and a credit card statement showing a higher charge, the matter could have been resolved much more quickly. I booked through Expedia because I could get a better fare on their site than on Air Trans site. The people from Expedia even told me how they hate working with AirTran and how it takes so long to get a response from them. While on hold with customer service people working on the problem, I did some searching on the web and read that Air Tran has one of the poorest customer service records in the industry, and now I can say that I personally experienced that poor customer service. It was a real hassle, but I did finally get the matter resolved. By the way, the flight was just fine, but it would have to be a really big savings for me to book them instead of another airline again. This is the only experience I've ever had where I was charged more than what my email confirmation said.

Hopewell Junction...
Level Contributor
70 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: AirTran, Spirit or other

I just flew back from West Palm to White Plains on AirTran. We flew on a 717 with a fine crew. They were friendly and quick to accomodate. The plain didn't have in-seat TV but my ipod and a book were plenty to keep me occupied. I have never flown Spirit.

Airtran does charge for certain seats.

9. Re: AirTran, Spirit or other

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 pm, September 12, 2009