We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
damon129
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
fare watching web sites

Hello,

I recently read an article in a magazine with a bunch of fare watching web sites. They would try to predict when the best time to buy will be.

I lost the article.

Anyone use sites like this? If so, what are they?

Thanks,

Damon

Cala d'Or, Spain
Level Contributor
4,263 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: fare watching web sites

I would be sceptical of any website predicting airfares. There are so many factors that can affect the level of fare charged, even things like the weather can have an effect on demend and what computer can predict the weather.

I am very suspicious of price comparison websites, they are there to make money for their operators and depend on the links from the airlines they claim to represent who also stand to gain from the increase traffic to their websites.

Personally, I would keep an eye on the fares to the destination to want and when special offers and bargains appear take advantage of them. Offers such as BA's World Sales are a good example.

Happy travels

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: fare watching web sites

Rule one of Old Mfuwes Guide to travel. If someone is offering something for free it will usually turn out more expensive. There are no philanthropists out there!

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
15,325 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: fare watching web sites

The best way is to find out which airlines fly the routes you are looking at (including any acceptable alternative airports) then sign up to their fare alerts newsletters. Then you will be the first to know of any sales that might happen.

www.airfarewatchdog.com is an option, but it only covers the US and Canada.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: fare watching web sites

This website http://farecast.com/ tries to predict fares based on past historical data.

Also, www.farecompare.com will show you past historical data on your flight route.

You can make a decision now, or chance it and wait.

5. Re: fare watching web sites

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:20 pm, September 11, 2009