We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aircraft Size Listings?

1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Aircraft Size Listings?

Is there a website that lists aircraft sizes by carrier/destination? I'm trying to fly via a "normal" size jet to a business meeting, and it's quite a difficult task!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,667 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aircraft Size Listings?

I have always found that when I am inquiring about flights (e.g. star alliance carriers) on line it shows the equipment (e.g. airbus 34, boeing, etc) being used. You can often get a seat map as well. Not sure if this is what you mean.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
7,030 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Aircraft Size Listings?

Depends on what you call "normal size". I assume you are trying to avoid regional jets, which may be very difficult at smaller airports. Just about every airline flys one in the 50 seat capacity area to service low demand locations.

Any booking site, including the airlines own, will tell you the aircraft type. Seatguru.com is a good site to see how the seats are layed out and the overall capacity. The airport website can be good to show you arriving and departing flights that will give you an idea of the equipment in/out of there. Flightaware.com can also show you real time traffic information that includes aircraft info.

Here is the link to information on BDL http://flightaware.com/live/airport/KBDL

Look at the type column to see the aircraft.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
57,192 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aircraft Size Listings?

I once flew on a turboprop from Hartford. My colleague who was a much less experienced flier was very nervous throughout and kept praying.

Back to the subject: when you book a flight, the airlines tell you what kind of equipment they use. The equipment used is flight-specific so you cannot go by the carrier or destination. For example, the morning flight can be a 737, while the afternoon flight can be a CRJ (regional jet) that is less comfortable, and it's the same airline on the same route. If you really want to avoid small jets, search around at different times of the day and see what you get. Since Hartford is a medium sized airport and its flights fly to various airline hubs for further connections, it is probably not possible to avoid smaller planes entirely.

Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
57,652 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aircraft Size Listings?

It might also help if you tell us what your destination is...

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
2,724 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aircraft Size Listings?

What cities are you looking for this information for?

6. Re: Aircraft Size Listings?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 pm, September 10, 2009