We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easyjet V's Ryanair ?

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
868 posts
Save Topic
Easyjet V's Ryanair ?

OK i know this has probably been asked before !

BUT....

i'm planning to fly from East Midlands Airport in Feb To Rome ...

usually fly Easyjet but the flights aren't as cheap as Ryanair !

i've heard that Ryanair charge more for baggage ?

but hasn't Easyjet introduced this now ?

shall i stick to what i know or go for the cheaper air fare ?

thanks for any answers i get : )

Ciao

XxEm

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,397 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easyjet V's Ryanair ?

Should I be forced to select from the two low cost carriers listed, I think I would choose Stelios's orange option well before giving any money to Mr O'Leary.

You may find that since FR have added interesting new charges for everything except a visit to the smallest room, EZ will be a cheaper option after all sums are tallied.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,312 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easyjet V's Ryanair ?

The simple answer is to go right to the end of the booking process, up to the point where you would enter your card details, with both airlines and see what the total fare would be for the dates and times you want on each (not forgetting any charges for using different types of cards).

Then you will know for sure what the total cost is for the trip you want and can make your choice accordingly, bearing in mind the different weight limits for each airline (eg virtually unlimted handluggage on Easyjet) and any other factors you want to consider apart from price.

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
868 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Easyjet V's Ryanair ?

thanks for the opinions and tips "world" and "traveller" !

looks like the Orange option is good to go : ) again !

ryanair seem to have a lot of hidden extra's including maybe the loo trips LOL

Ciao XxEm

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,461 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Easyjet V's Ryanair ?

<<< up to the point where you would enter your card details, >>>

BUT check that the charges for card use - which are per passenger per flight on Ryanair - have been included in the total.

BUT rather than doing that - and giving Mr O'Leary a large amount of personal data BEFORE you decide to book or not - check www.ryanair.com/site/EN/faqs.php?sect=CHARGES -to see how much extra you'll pay compared to the "headline price" that Ryanair display (he new version which includes taxes & compulsory charge)s.

As you go through the process for booking with Ryanair check each step very carefully as Ryanair has been known to "helpfully" add fees to your booking whether you need them or not and thgen hide the option for removing them

BTW you CAN'T use online check-in for flights from Italy on Ryanair which, if you book the flight as a return, means you can't book online checkin on the flight TO Italy. So if you are travelling with hand luggage only - and you meet the dozen or so other requirements for on-liner checkin - book each leg separately

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
868 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Easyjet V's Ryanair ?

wow thanks for all that alan : )

not as goos a deal as it sounds then Ryanair ?!?

XxEm

UK
Level Contributor
301 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Easyjet V's Ryanair ?

Travelled the very route with both carriers - and both were very good at a time. Since than had several more trips with Ryanair to different destinations - and though I still travel with them when convenient (and cheap) - I would say Easyjet is a far friendlier and more professional option. I had never been on a dirty Easyjet plane: Alas, can't say the same about Ryanair - about 50% of my flights with them were in "interesting" conditions hygine wise!

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
868 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Easyjet V's Ryanair ?

Thanks almondgrove : )

not sounding good for the Ryanair option is it LOL !

XxEm

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Easyjet V's Ryanair ?

For my tuppence worth - on the various west-coast Scotland to London routes, when travelling on personal business I know look at only BA and Easyjet, whom I regard as equals on the route. Even setting aside the fact that Ryanair "flies from nowhere to nowhere" (quote - Stelios), they would have to be ridiculously cheaper than Easyjet for me to consider them on the same route. And, generally speaking - they're not.

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
8,047 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Easyjet V's Ryanair ?

Hi

I would also factor in the times of the flights, a fiver more but more convenient flight times would swing it for me.

I fly a lot with Easyjet because they have a good number of destinations from my local airport, Gatwick and I've also flown occasionally with BA, I would put Easyjet streets ahead of BA, but if Ryanair were more convenient for times and similar in price that's who I'd chose.

Just one thing if you book a return with Easyjet and you get to the airport early on the day you come back then they will rebook you free of charge onto an earlier flight if there is availability. They did that for us from Amsterdam, we got to the airport about 45 mins before the earlier flight to London and they immediately transferred us. Absolutely brilliant as we were travelling with a five year old and she didn't have time to get bored.

Ryanair get a lot of bad press but we flew with them a few weeks ago from Lubeck and they were just fine. I slept through the adverts so although they are apparently quite pushy I never heard a thing.

Jackie

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,312 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Easyjet V's Ryanair ?

> BUT rather than doing that - and giving Mr O'Leary a large amount of personal data BEFORE you decide to book or not - check www.ryanair.com/site/EN/faqs.php?sect=CHARGES -to see how much extra you'll pay compared to the "headline price" that Ryanair display (he new version which includes taxes & compulsory charge)s.

You don't need to do this. Just put in fake info to begin with. Then you will have the peace of mind of knowing exactly what the total will be. If you are happy, just go back and start again. And yes, select your credit card as well. The price will automatically change to reflect your payment method.