We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Update on UK hand baggage restrictions

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,151 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Update on UK hand baggage restrictions

This from the Travelmole website -

Rules limiting air passengers to a single piece of hand luggage may be lifted - but not until after the summer peak travel period.

Aviation minister Jim Fitzpatrick is quoted by the Financial Times as saying that security rules imposed at UK airports following last summer's terrorism alert could be soon relaxed. It is thought this could be by November.

Passengers are likely to be able to take two pieces of hand luggage onto aircraft, although a ban on carrying liquids will remain, the FT reported.

The minister reportedly said prior to a tour of Heathrow tomorrow (Thursday) to discuss the airport's delays: "If they can get the throughput without reducing the levels of safety and security, then we'll lift the one-bag rule without any problem, providing we're convinced and they're convinced."

Brighton, UK
Level Contributor
707 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Update on UK hand baggage restrictions

Great, shame that sanity won't prevail and that a tiny tube of liplgloss can still be classified as a dangerous liquid...

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,606 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Update on UK hand baggage restrictions

When this happens it will certainly take a great deal of strain off the baggage handling systems, which have been stretched well beyond their capabilities at LHR (and for some strange reason ABZ, where I waited 25 minutes for bags to appear after a UK domestic segment... very odd).

However, it's only 08 August, so the silly season could manifest something between now and month-end which could have Mr Fitzpatrick withdraw his statement. I do hope things stay calm, and nothing untoward takes place, though!

Shame that the war against hand-cream will carry on unabated. Durr.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Update on UK hand baggage restrictions

Why would someone want to take two bags on boards. There is little enough room in the lockers as it is !

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
39,503 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Update on UK hand baggage restrictions

Mr Cellophane,

So we ladies can take our handbags instead of having to put them in our handluggage which is a real pain at the moment on long haul, believe me. You have to be female to understand!

Brighton, UK
Level Contributor
707 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Update on UK hand baggage restrictions

Also business who used to take their case in the cabin now for short trips don't anymore, a) because the bag size is now too small to use as carry on and b) because they wouldn't be able to take any large sized toiletries.

I know we had this debate before but I still think it's ridiculous to screen people for liplogss and deodorant....and from what I've read so far, no explosive expert seems to agree that it's a strategy worth pursuing.

6. Re: Update on UK hand baggage restrictions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 am, September 07, 2009