We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are Emirates strict on luggage allowance

Manchester
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Topic
Are Emirates strict on luggage allowance

Flying from MAN in a few days and never flown with them before.

Just weighed the case and it's 22kg. All other scheduled airlines have flown with would just let it through but just wondering if Emirates generally let cases that a few k's over go without any problems.

Has anybody flown with EK recently with overweight cases?

Thanks.

Dos cerveza, por...
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are Emirates strict on luggage allowance

Are they strict on weight? That all depends on whether the person checking you in has :

a) Had a good day

b) Likes the look of you

c) Had a portion recently

In all honesty, it all depends on the person. If you're only a couple of kilos over then it shouldn't be a problem but if you get an arsey check in clerk then they're within their rights to charge you & I've seen some jobsworths even make some poor chap hand carry a sweater as it put him over weight. .........

Personally, I would go for it & smile sweetly on check in................

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
364 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are Emirates strict on luggage allowance

We have flown with Emirates several times and can honestly say that on evey occassion we have NEVER even been close to making our luggage allowance, and have never been charged excess luggage. Most recently coming back from BKK, my case was 35kg and they never batted an eyelid, wifeys was about 28!

So 22kg is nowt to worry about I'd say.

-James.

Manchester
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Are Emirates strict on luggage allowance

Thanks for the replies, I'll go with overweight and see what happens, as I said I've never had problems with any of the other scheduled carriers when the case has been over - and in some cases well over.

I'll get there early too so the check-in staff are perhaps less stressed.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
364 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are Emirates strict on luggage allowance

Try the online check in facility & bag drop.....has always been good for us.

-James.

manchester england
Level Contributor
68 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are Emirates strict on luggage allowance

As a check-in bod myself don't blame us for charging excess baggage. Blame the airline that sets the rule and the supervisors and managers that watch check-in and then the oblivious passenger who has not bothered to check their baggage allowance and then the "I know I've got excess but I will chance it anyway" traveller.

In most airline check-in systems weights for baggage have to be entered for weight and balance of your aircraft (so you don't end up ditching in the Irish Sea!) Then a list is printed showing who had what weight in what bag.

There are many arguements for this issue of excess but check-in staff are watched depending on the management of that particular airline and repremanded if excess has not been charged. Don't always blame the staff!!!!!!

I along with many others always pack according to my luggage allowance and would feel angry if I saw some chancer getting away with double the allowance. It makes a mockery of the whole thing.

manchester england
Level Contributor
68 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are Emirates strict on luggage allowance

P.S I personally wouldn't charge for 2 kgs as I feel that is jobswoth but I would certainly charge for the 35kgs a fellow poster has witnessed!!

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
36,995 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are Emirates strict on luggage allowance

Although is is difficult sometimes to keep to 20kg limit set by most airlines I always stick to the limit, as all to often I have seen people overweight and being charged for excess. Some airlines even weigh hand luggage.

Like the previous poster I think it is unfair when others disregard the rules, hoping they get away with it, and the majority try to keep within the set weight limit.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are Emirates strict on luggage allowance

how often are airport scales checked for accuracy?

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
8,047 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are Emirates strict on luggage allowance

Hi

The funniest thing I've ever seen was about 6 passengers waiting to get on a plane having to ditch half their luggage at the departure gate because they were trying to sneak in way way more than they should.

Just before they started calling the first passengers to board they pulled out a massive set of scales from a cupboard and started checking and weighing the hand luggage.

Obviously I was among the smug who had not overpacked.

Jackie

Newport Pagnell...
Level Contributor
1,581 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Are Emirates strict on luggage allowance

If you know your bag is 2kg overweight why don't you just take something out,or put it in your hand baggage.