We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Panic about flight times. Help please!

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Panic about flight times. Help please!

Hi, hope someone can reassure me about these times. I was reading a previous post and someone said that 2 hours wasn't enough time between flights. Is this true?

All the flights were booked through Expedia using their itinerary. So I assumed they wouldn't have offered the flights if they weren't going to work out.

Belfast Depart 11:15 to London (LHR) Arrive 12:30.

London Depart 14:35 Terminal 4 to Phoenix Arrive 17:10 Terminal 4.

Phoenix Depart 18:24 Terminal 4 to Las Vegas Arrive 19:38 Terminal 1.

Thanks for any help.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Panic about flight times. Help please!

Charlie, you’ve been given some wrong info over on the LV forum.

What will happen at Heathrow depends on which airlines you are flying with. So let us know this and we can advise wither your bags will be inter-lined (checked through to the USA) or whether you’ll have to collect and recheck them.

But at Phoenix you will definitely have to collect your bags, clear US immigration and US customs and then recheck your bags fro the Phoenix to LV flight. Uncle Sam always insists on visitors clearing customs and immigration at the first US point of entry. So your timing here looks tight. But if you have been checked in for this flight at either Belfast or at Heathrow then don’t worry as the airline will just put you on the next flight.

Do post info on your airlines for better info about the Heathrow bit.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
725 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Panic about flight times. Help please!

I can't speak to the heathrow part but the issue in PHX is: are you travelling on to Las Vegas with the same airline, and on the same ticket? Assuming your LHR-PHX and PNX-LAS are with the same airline, even if you miss the LAS flight due to hold-ups, the airline will put you on the next available flight (and there should be quite a few). A note though - you cannot rely on expedia etc (or even the airlines own website) to offer you anything other than the minimum of a legal connection. Whether a legal connection (roughly an hour) is adequate at a given airport or at a specific time of year you have to research yourself.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,472 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Panic about flight times. Help please!

2 hours at Heathrow should be more than sufficient - it's not as if you have to go through immigration

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
94 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Panic about flight times. Help please!

Hi Charlie3000,

I had exactly this problem (it may have been my post you read). I called Expedia & explained the problem. They denied it'd be a problem at first, they seemed a bit confused over the immigration procedure. I insisted they booked us on to a later flight to our final destination. They did this without any problems or extra cost. Howerver, they do not change your itinerary on your Expedia account. This means when you check it it'll always be the same as when you first booked your holiday. They will/ should confirm any ammendments by the email address connected to your Epedia account. Print them out & carry them with you. You will get all your boarding passes at your first check-in (although this maybe LHR for you), this means you can check your connecting flight times at the check-in desk.

As other posters have said you MUST go through immigration at your first point of entry. This means you are at the mercy of how good the officials are at PHX. Some airports are better than others. I would rather not leave it to chance myself but some don't mind.

My 'changed' flights are next Thurs so I don't know if all this planning has actually worked yet! When do you fly - I'm back 17th Aug so if it all goes to plan I could let you know?

5. Re: Panic about flight times. Help please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 am, September 06, 2009