We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

People who earn rewards for flying. How do you get the miles

United States
Level Contributor
154 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
People who earn rewards for flying. How do you get the miles

So, I recently went on my first plane trip ever. I booked through an online travel site (travelocity, expedia, etc)...who booked my flights through the airline themselves. How do people earn rewards and flying miles etc for flying? Do they have to book directly with the airlines themselves, or do you have to get a credit card through that airline, etc...or how does it work? say for instance, using american airlines?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,592 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: People who earn rewards for flying. How do you get the miles

Go to AA.com and join AAAdvantage.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,312 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: People who earn rewards for flying. How do you get the miles

Joining the airlines frequent flier programme (free on their website) is the first step, but it's notthe end of the story.

The fare you purchased has to qualify for mileage. Different airlnes have different rules. For example, BA is notoriously stingy, and you only get about 25% of the miles on the cheapest fare. Some airilines give you nothing on some fares.

Airlines like AA, Delta, Continental, Lufthansa, Air Canada and others will give you full miles for almost any fare, but only if you book direct on the airline's website.

United States
Level Contributor
154 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: People who earn rewards for flying. How do you get the miles

so what exactly does earning miles do for you?

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,312 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: People who earn rewards for flying. How do you get the miles

It gets you free flights, upgrades or other perks. Look at the airline's website for how to earn and cash them in. You can also earn miles when you rent a car, stay in a hotel and lots of other ways.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,397 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: People who earn rewards for flying. How do you get the miles

Mmmmm .... MFU. BA's Miles for Upgrade means that I can buy a ticket in World Traveller Plus (aka premier economy) and if there's availabiity use just 25,000 miles to move into Club World.

Since I fly in WT+ as a matter of course, it's worth using a few Miles to move into J, as using Miles for a ticket in that class of service would cost 100,000 Miles. Getting availability for MFU can be a pain, but there it is.

One of my credit cards (which gives me travel Miles) has a promotion twice a year in which I can convert those Miles to BA Miles with a fifty percent bonus. Excellent, thank you. The BA Visa card offers double Miles for any BA purchase paid for with that card - fabbo. There may be double Miles offered when I hire a car - great.

Class of service matters. WT+ gets 1.25 Miles per mile flown - a huge increase over the 0.25 Miles per mile flown in WT. A paid-for sector in J gets 1.5 Miles per mile flown - Gold and Silver Exec Club members get another bonus percentage on top of that.

For those who do not travel for business, it can take a while to stack up the Miles, but with determination one can get a wodge of the things. Some may say it's not worth the effort, but I think it is. YMMV.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,211 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: People who earn rewards for flying. How do you get the miles

I think most US airlines still give credit for miles flown on all flights (one mile credit for each mile flown) and it takes 25,000 or 30,000 miles to earn a free ticket. So to earn a free ticket that would be about 5 round trip coast to coast flights, I think.

It is free to join frequent flyer programs, so you have nothing to lose. I usually book directly with the airline, but I believe as long as you give your frequent flyer number to whoever you book thru you can earn miles. If you use an internet site you can always call the airline after you book and have them add your freqeunt flyer number to get credit for the trip.

You may even be able to get miles credited even if you join after you have traveled.

Obviously I am not familiar with every airline's rules, but I think this is true for most US carriers.

You can also get credit cards that will give you freqeunt flyer miles for all purchases, but make sure you read the fine print. Many of these cards come with high annual fees and interest rates.

Most airlines have made it more difficult to redeem miles. Few seats may be reserved on each flight for those wanting to use miles and you may only be able to use miles for a flight you want if you use double the normal miles.

7. Re: People who earn rewards for flying. How do you get the miles

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 pm, September 03, 2009