We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dumb question

Boston
Level Contributor
970 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Dumb question

I'm not a frequent flier. I don't know the ins and outs of air travel. I'm not savvy at all--and I've never had to change anything.

I currently have an e-ticket on Northwest for domestic travel (Boston to Detroit and back). I need to come back a day or two early. I went to the NW website and they instruct you to complete a web transaction to accomplish any changes.

Before doing that, I thought I'd ask more experienced travelers-- how impossible is this? Will they charge me a ton of money to make the change? Is it better to call a human being rather than complete their web transaction form?

Any advice you might provide would be appreciated greatly.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,042 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dumb question

Every airline is alitle different but usually it costs money to make a change in you rticket.-often $100 butnot always.

I"d call on the phone to ask what's what for your particular ticket. Also some airlines charge an extra$10 for actaully doing something fo r ou on the phone so I'd ask about that as well. They will giv eyou information for free.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,312 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dumb question

Definitely start with the phone if you have any questions. You may find that they will do the change for the online charge for you, but check before you agree to them making the change over the phone.

$100 is pretty standard for a fare change. Don't worry about the online form. It will be clear at the point where they are charging you extra money, and how much it is.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,390 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dumb question

Airlines have a number of fare buckets, each with slightly different terms and conditions. Usually the least expensive fares will have the most stringent rules attached to them - these rules are often in connection to changes in the routing (date, time, etc).

Some airlines may charge a fee for change plus a difference in fare if the fare bucket in which you booked is no longer available on the new sector you wish to book. NW - thank goodness - includes this info on the Trip Summary and Receipt email you will have received. Check 'class of service' in case you need to quote that info to the person to whom you speak at NW.

Hopefully you'll be able to book into the same fare bucket and will pay only the change fee. Best of luck.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
886 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dumb question

I think NW has one of the better web sites for making changes online. Go ahead, pull up your reservation, and try out some alternatives. It'll tell you the price before you confirm the transaction, so you can experiment to your heart's content.

You can also read your ticket's rules, all very clearly laid out.

Boston
Level Contributor
970 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dumb question

You guys are FANTASTIC!

I went to the website and -- yes--NW has a great site for making changes and --yes-- they did show choices and allow me to shuffle things around before confirming a change. In the end, it cost $70, which is good---I'd prepared myself for 100-, so this seems like a bargain!

Thank you so much! Have a great weekend everyone!

:-) coco

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,312 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dumb question

Let this be a lesson to everyone:

There is no such thing as a dumb question! If you don't know something, you don't know it! It's worth the risk that you will look foolish to get a good result. That's what TA s for!

Glad it worked out for you.

7. Re: Dumb question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:28 am, September 04, 2009