We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

United PHL; how can i complain?

Nj
Level Contributor
284 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
United PHL; how can i complain?

Does any one know the best way to lodge a formal complaint with United Airlines? My son had a HORRIBLE time yesterday. (8 hours in the airport after his flight was supposed to depart) NOTHING to do with airline security. Nothing to do with weather related issues. Customer service gave me wrong information in reference to when they actually got in the air TWICE!!! They assured me the plane was in route at 1:45; then assured me they were in route @ 3:30. Plane left at 5:30! Arrival was 12 hours (one whole day missing acitvities that were payed for)!! Any info would help

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
468 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: United PHL; how can i complain?

It seems to me there are two separate issues under discussion in this thread: the obligations of an airline in getting its passengers to their destination in a timely fashion, and the obligations of an airline in keeping its passengers/customers informed about changes in flight status. The first has to do with the contract between passenger and carrier, but the second is a matter of courtesy: a commodity that shouldn't be affected by how much or how little you paid for your ticket.

As to the first, it's unfortunate but quite true that while an airline "undertakes to use its best efforts to carry the passenger and baggage with reasonable dispatch" (copied from a recently purchased airline ticket) it also (in the same paragraph) refuses to guarantee timetables, warns schedules may change without notice, and "assumes no responsibility for making connections." So if you miss your business meeting or family reunion or the first day of your expensive holiday, it's not their problem as far as they're concerned.

As to the second, I agree with TravellerPlus's assessment. Failure to keep passengers informed about flight status shows a lack of courtesy and consideration--both of which require nothing but a bit of "best effort" on the part of airline staff. It also shows a lack of competence. I don't know that I'd want to fly with an airline that can't keep track of its aircraft!

los angeles
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
42. Re: United PHL; how can i complain?

Hi Tamaruny,

I'll try to help -- I fly United a lot and occasionally have had some issues which have prompted me to write to them.

Here is the address of United's Customer Service and also the e-mail address of United's head of customer relations.

UAL Corporation

World Headquarters

P.O. Box 66100

Chicago, IL 60666

or

graham.atkinson@united.com

Executive Vice President and and Chief Customer Officer

Whichever route you decide to go, I would recommend taking a deep breath and writing out your complaint in the least heated language possible, listing step by step the sequence of events; they are more likely to hear what you are saying and not dismiss you as a crackpot. I say this from personal experience, because I have written to United in the past, with some positive results. You may not get the compensation that you would like, but you should get a response of some kind.

Nj
Level Contributor
284 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: United PHL; how can i complain?

thanks stickfigure. I am waiting until my son returns to be sure I have all the accurate information. Of course, with these things you should always wait until your blood pressure goes down (lol). Thanks for the information, much appreciated.

44. Re: United PHL; how can i complain?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 pm, September 05, 2009