We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good word for Globespan

south western...
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Good word for Globespan

Just wanted to relieve some of the anxiety for those of you who have booked flights with Globespan and heard the horror stories. I was very apprehensive and expecting some delays, but everything was fine. We flew out of the Hamilton, Ontario, terminal and it was great! So compact, no walking, just park the car, walk in, check in, and on the plane. Wonderful compared to Pearson. Arrived in Dublin, Ireland on time.

Flight over was in an older aircraft purchased from an Icelandic airline. We bought economy no frills and it was pretty tight for leg room. If you have long legs, spring for the premier. Other than that, it was just fine - plane left and arrived on time.

On the flight home, we got a "free" meal and non alcoholic drinks, even though it said on the website you needed to preorder the meals. The people that preordered got a different meal (beef or pasta dish). We got a type of chili with vegetables and a bun with a dessert.

Can't say every flight will go as smoothly, but I hope this will help with some of the apprehension involved with this airline.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good word for Globespan

please post this on skytrax.

there has not been one good report about flyglobespan on there for ages. they must be looking for one....lol

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
246 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good word for Globespan

So glad to hear a good report for your flight with this airline. I wish more satisfied passengers would post since there has been an abundance of negative comments.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
15,177 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good word for Globespan

> I wish more satisfied passengers would post since there has been an abundance of negative comments.

That's because there aren't that many satisfied customers. The abundance of negative comments is because they are a truly abominable airline, with zero customer service. They have expanded too fast, and don't have the equipment or staff to meet their schedule. They charter in planes from other companies, but this causes other problems. They simply can't handle what they have taken on.

Occasionally, a flight will go without a problem (or fewer than usual), as was the case with this OP. But it really is the exception rather than the norm.

I travel several times a year to Canada, and have tried them all. Avoid this outfit at all costs. Zoom, Canadian Affair and even the majors give far better service for the same (or not much more) money.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,339 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good word for Globespan

The lack of positive comments could also be down to the fact that nobody ever posts (apart from Cinderella50) about trouble free flights. Nobody wants to hear when things go right, it's always easier to bash the airline when it goes wrong.

I have flown with Globespan a number of times, have dealt with them on the phone to my satisfaction, and have booked another flight to Sanford at the end of next month. Having said that, they have already changed the timeof the outgoing flight and cancelled the return but when I phoned them up, they upgraded us to business on the flight one day later. Good customer care in my opinion.

When you say they have expanded too quickly, that is possible and the lack of aircraft has caused problems this summer on the trans Atlantic routes.

99% of the time they are problem-free. Unfortunately, that 1% of the time when it goes wrong, it goes spectacularly wrong!

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
15,177 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good word for Globespan

> 99% of the time they are problem-free. Unfortunately, that 1% of the time when it goes wrong, it goes spectacularly wrong!

Actually it is more like the opposite. Most flights on the UK/Canad route seem to have gone spectacularly wrong, so much so that they are having to cancel the Liverpool route.

And in fact people do post positive comments, often. If you look at www.airlinequality.com you see many "Good flight, as expected" and even "Great flight posts". They moderate the forum and try to post a balance of positive, negative and neutral posts.

They way Globespan has treated so many of their customers they don't deserve to be in business. They have had plenty of time to get their act together. There are complaints lodged with the Canadian aviation authorities, which have the power to ban them from flying to Canada. If it comes to that, I wouldn't be surprised.

I won't be risking my next trip to Canada with Globespan.

Ontario Canada
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good word for Globespan

I've been so scared reading all of the Globespan stories-- thank you for posting something positive. I will be on this route in 2 weeks... hoping for the best :)

Canada
Level Contributor
297 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good word for Globespan

It's not quite accurate that nobody ever posts about trouble free flights... if you go to airlinequality.com and compare some of the reviews of airlines, you'll find many positive reviews of companies like AirCanada and British Airways. Even a low-budget airline like AirTransat which has had numerous problems (and which I would not recommend) has a 3 star rating. British Airways has 4 out of 5. These averages are based on pages of reviews, not just one or two comments.

Flyglobespan is "unclassified" on airlinequality.com so you can't see the OVERALL star rating, but if you scroll through the 4 pages of reviews, you'll be hard-pressed to find even a handful of 3 or 4 star ratings. Almost all of them are 1 star and several passengers state that they wish they could give ZERO stars but the way the website is set up, it doesn't allow for this. Also the comment at top of the Flyglobespan page on airlinequality.com is interesting:

"Due to the high number of complaints being received for this airline, Skytrax are unable to guarantee that all of them will be published."

However, that said, there are occasionally "good" flights even on this airline so there is hope if you have booked it and can't get out with a major financial loss. My recent flights to/from Scotland went well; the flight back was only delayed 3.5 hours so I consider this satisfactory. Much better than 2 or 3 or 7 days delay. I have posted my positve review of the flights in the Glasgow forum

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186534-i211-k1223…

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good word for Globespan

Just read on Globespan's web site the following:

On flights from 1st November 07, flyglobespan will be operating a two class service. Our new Economy class will essentially mirror our premium class service and include:

• Generous seat pitch

• 25kg luggage allowance

• Full meal service

• Complimentary drinks

• In-flight entertainment

• Seat selection-

book early and select

standard seats at no

charge

Maybe they're getting the message!

9. Re: Good word for Globespan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:39 am, September 06, 2009