We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6' 5" (1.95m) economy class passenger to Asia from Syd

Australia
Level Contributor
802 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
6' 5" (1.95m) economy class passenger to Asia from Syd

Hi

Has any one who is tall had experience flying with either Singapore, Thai, Malaysian or Jetstar economy from Syd to Asia. Ultimate destination is SGN, but the leg from SYD to Asia hub is my main concern.

I don't care about in flight entertainment, choice of menus etc only legroom.

I see in various forums etc that Malaysian is reported to have the most legroom. Can anyone substantiate that? If anyone who is tall can share their experiences that would be great.

Thanks

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 6' 5" (1.95m) economy class passenger to Asia from Syd

I flew with my other half from Melb into Kuala Lumpur with SIA last year in October. He's 6'2" and found it no worse, and no better, than any other airline he's ever flown (and thats plenty) in economy. We were unfortunate to fly out just after midnight & got stuck in a 3 seater across the middle with another tall guy who proceeded to fall asleep on my partners shoulder! When we checked in around 1pm in KL he crashed and it was really a wasted day for us (I was fine).

I would recommend if you can to fly out during the day. Failing that try to get a window seat (rest your head on that if you're tired). SIA has a pretty reasnable externatinment system and their food wasn't too bad either. Plus I am reliably informed that the female FAs are pretty good to look at as well if you cant find anything on the 'box'!

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,751 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6' 5" (1.95m) economy class passenger to Asia from Syd

maybe you ll get lucky and offered a 200 dollar upgrade with JQ?!!

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6' 5" (1.95m) economy class passenger to Asia from Syd

If you fly with Singapore Airlines you can request an exit row seat when you make your booking and unlike other airlines they will allocate you one if they are available. If the flight is in a B777-200 series aircraft then seats 52C and 52H also have extra legroom - no seat in front of them.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 6' 5" (1.95m) economy class passenger to Asia from Syd

damn, i wish Id known that!! Where were you numbat when I needed you!!!!!!!

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 6' 5" (1.95m) economy class passenger to Asia from Syd

in my experience SQ do not fly 777's from sydney.

once u r over 190cm a few inches extra pitch in economy really is neither here nor there.

so would approach singapore about an exit seat emphasizing your height. usually they will come to the party.

am sure thai and malaysian would be the same.

as for jetstar have no opinion. they are on my avoid like the plague list.

Amsterdam, Holland
Destination Expert
for Bhutan
Level Contributor
2,757 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 6' 5" (1.95m) economy class passenger to Asia from Syd

Hi,

Have a look at:www.seatguru.com , you can find information about specific seats. Hope this helps.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 6' 5" (1.95m) economy class passenger to Asia from Syd

Btw when we flew SIA our tickets were discount economy and as such we were informed that any request we made would most likely be ignored! Hence we requested aisle seat on booking, exit aisle on check- in and were eventually allocated a 3 seater (with a snorer) on boarding!

singapore
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 6' 5" (1.95m) economy class passenger to Asia from Syd

Hi Vacation

Yes I can substantiate that Malaysian Airline has a 34 inch seat pitch & so does Thai Airways. Both Malaysian & Thai are excellent value for money flights on economy, you can book directly from their website. Both have website dedicated to the Australian market.

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 6' 5" (1.95m) economy class passenger to Asia from Syd

Adelaide,

I've only ever flown SQ Discount Economy/package fare (being a poor Numbat) - it hasn't been a problem. If they've been available I've been given them and when they haven't I've been told they're gone already.

Seating is always a lottery. On one SQ flight 2 ladies boarded and sat in the exit row seats. When the real occupants arrived (with boarding pass and it wasn't me) the ladies created quite a stink, claiming they had been promised the exit seats when they booked and also by the check-in staff. The poor FAs had to sort out the mess.

Australia
Level Contributor
802 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 6' 5" (1.95m) economy class passenger to Asia from Syd

Thanks for replies.

Asking at check in (and being early) does work. I flew to IAD from SYD a while ago on United and they gave me exit seat plus premium economy all the way there and back again - so having been comfortable on that trip I know what the extra leg room means for me in terms of comfort.