We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jetstar - (6' 5"" - 195 m tall)-Is economy OK??

Australia
Level Contributor
802 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Jetstar - (6' 5"" - 195 m tall)-Is economy OK??

Hi

looking at going Syd- Ho Chi Minh via Jetstar - realistically, will I fit in economy? Have heard about paying for starclass upgrade at check in - does that actually happen?

Other alternative is BA economy plus to Singapore, overnite there and then Tiger to HCM next morning.

Anybody got any ideas for comfortable flight from Syd to HCM.

Thanks

melbourne
Level Contributor
150 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jetstar - (6' 5"" - 195 m tall)-Is economy OK??

ba has small seats as does qantas 31 inches,spend the extra on star class if size is an issue but it is not really a long haul flight so maybe spend less on the flight and more on good hotels maybe.if malaysian airlines flies there their seats are 34 inches. that may be worthwhile

Australia
Level Contributor
802 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jetstar - (6' 5"" - 195 m tall)-Is economy OK??

BA econo plus has 38"seat pitch, standard econo is 31" and is only $1600 return to singapore from Sydney. Tiger air is $154 AUD return to HCM which is about $600 cheaper than Jetstar starclass from Syd To HCM

melbourne
Level Contributor
150 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jetstar - (6' 5"" - 195 m tall)-Is economy OK??

i would go the star class option at least you get qantas lounge access and priority check inn and you get there with out a stop over as singapore is no longer a bargain stop over ie 14 bucks for a glass of wine etc but on the other hand if you were to go ba and tiger the tiger seats may be smaller so you will be sorta comfortable for most of the trip but not the remainder its hard to drop down a grade when you were comfortable to start with

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Jetstar - (6' 5"" - 195 m tall)-Is economy OK??

Hi vacation, I'm only 5'10" and my other half is 6'2" & 95kgs.

We fly JQ a lot but it is a real struggle for him.

Thats a 8-9 hour flight I think...you'd really have to be tough to hang in there for that long. I couldn't even at my height!

I have heard about those paid upgrades...they are by all accounts legit and DO happen. Not on popular routes but I think you may be in with a good chance to ho Chi Minh. Average costs seems to be in the vicinity of $200 pp. Not bad!? Just ask at check in.

Problem is is there isnt then you're stuck in economy sardine-like! Yuck :(

There are a few reviews on airlinequality.com and frequentflyer.com.au

BA WT+ gets mixed reviews and it is really considerably more expensive isnt it? Plus with your o/night in SG and then Tiger fare....you'd be better of direct on J* star Class in the end wouldnt you? Less mucking about at the very least. its a tough call...wish you well with it!

Australia
Level Contributor
802 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jetstar - (6' 5"" - 195 m tall)-Is economy OK??

Thanks for the comments.

I checked out Malaysian Air as per Wilhemina's suggestion. 34" pitch for 747 (overnight flight) Syd-KL, then 737 KL to SGN - 2 hours is OK in a 737 I guess. All for AU$1224 return without an overnight stop. I have flown United premium economy at 36" pitch and actually had room to spare, so I am thinking that 34" would be quite acceptable for an 8 hour flight. I am always opimistic about getting an exit seat too.

So maybe Malaysian is the way to go after all - cheaper than Starclass and only $300 more than JQ economy. Too many choices!!!!

6. Re: Jetstar - (6' 5"" - 195 m tall)-Is economy OK??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:23 am, September 04, 2009