We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting miles on codeshare flights - OR NOT!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
30 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Getting miles on codeshare flights - OR NOT!

I recently traveled roundtrip from San Diego to Prague via Detroit, Amsterdam (outward bound) and Paris (return). I was happy to find a reasonable ticket on orbitz.com and even happier that the flight was with Northwest and Czech Air as my Onepass miles program is with Continental who is in the Skyteam Alliance with both of these airlines. However, upon my return to the States I found out that the ticket type (which was a "V" class ticket only allowed me to collect 50% of my Continental Elite miles and no points. I called Continental and they confirmed that when you travel on a "discount" ticket with an alliance airline (my round trip was $900) you are only eligible for half of your elite miles. I just wanted to let others know in case you were banking on your miles to allow you to keep your gold/silver/platinum elite card.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting miles on codeshare flights - OR NOT!

there is a similar system working within the star alliance.

in fact certain classes of tickets get you zero miles so you have to be a little bit careful when booking.

London, United...
Level Contributor
755 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting miles on codeshare flights - OR NOT!

Please correct me if I am wrong but in the oneworld alliance which include both AA and BA, if you fly from say LHR - JFK with BA but enter your AAdvantage card details you will not collect any miles at all? I have collected AA miles whilst flying within Europe on BA but cannot use them on BA if I fly long haul to the States?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,042 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting miles on codeshare flights - OR NOT!

I also have Continental One pass miles. I am flying to Italy on Delta,which is a Skyteam member. I also booked with a discount agency-1800flyeurope.com. My plan is to get Delta sky mIles(which they allow on this ticket). I didn't think of getting Continental miles because I thought if I got SKyteam member miles then in the end I could just put them together when I decide on which airline to use them. Am I misunderstanding how the Skyteam works?

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
725 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting miles on codeshare flights - OR NOT!

I think you may be. Although I am not as familiar with skyteam as I am wiht some other programs, in the vast majority of situations you cannot agregregate miles from more than one airline after you have earned them. Now there are assorted programs that "may" allow you to transfer miles from one program to another, but on most of them, it's not a one to one transfer (you lose either miles of money). The normal procedure when travelling on an airline that is not the one you wish to have the miles credited to is to ensure that your passenger record has the correct FF # attached to it before you fly: it can be a hassle to change this afterwards, but you should always keep all relevant BP's/ticket stubs etc, just in case the miles don't get credited properly.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,042 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting miles on codeshare flights - OR NOT!

Well of course you are right about the miles. I just got off the phone with Delta and I DO have to accrue miles on their program but then can use THEIR award miles to fly on any of the Skyteam members flights. You have to BOOK the flight through the airline whose miles you are planning to use to get the award. Skyteam has its own web site and when I read it I got confused because it said-fly on any skyteam airline and use miles to get flights on any airline. I have been flying more recenty and had actually never before been in aposition to use awards anyway. Live and learn!!

Cala d'Or, Spain
Level Contributor
4,236 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting miles on codeshare flights - OR NOT!

Does all this not suggest that loyalty programmes/airmiles are just a complete waste of time. The airlines are being more restrictive and just seem to make life difficult when it comes to redeeming points. It all just makes you want to pull your hair out.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
725 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting miles on codeshare flights - OR NOT!

While I wouldn't disagree that it's getting more and more difficult to use miles and keep them, a loyalty program is designed to reward loyalty (theoretically) to a specific airline. It wan't so long ago that there were none of these alliances, so the miles you earned on one airline could only be used on that airline. There would be little percentage for the airlines in allowing you to aggregate miles: there must be millions of "orphaned" miles swimming around: too few miles to use for an award ticket means that the airline never has to redeem them.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,857 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting miles on codeshare flights - OR NOT!

jack_essex, I know its confusing, but you are correct. If you are an AAdvantage frequent flyer and as you know AA is in the One World Alliance as is BA, you do collect miles for BA flights in Europe and elsewhere......EXCEPT for trans Atlantic flights. That is because these two airlines are competitors on trans Atlantic routes.

I'm an AA elite frequent flyer. One time I had to fly from Atlanta to London, I thought I'd booked a Delta flight when in actuality it was a codeshare and it was a BA aircraft and also a BA flight number in addition to a Delta one. I called American and asked about collecting miles since it had been BA. They said not on trans Atlantic flights. I cited the fact that I had to fly from Atlanta and that American didn't fly to London from Atlanta.......they said that didn't matter, I could have flown from a city that they provide service from.

Ireland
Level Contributor
1,930 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting miles on codeshare flights - OR NOT!

I have 2 ff accounts. My AA one I can earn miles on Aer Lingus flights but only if I fly a certain ticket class ie not the cheap ones. Am going to use the miles and ditch this card as I only fly Aer Lingus for work - if I'm paying I want a "better" airline.

2nd account is Flying Blue. If I book Air France/KLM flights I rarely get 100% miles, sometimes as little as 25% depending on ticket class. However if I fly another Skyteam airline I get 100% miles, hence we fly Delta and Alitalia a lot!

10. Re: Getting miles on codeshare flights - OR NOT!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:23 am, September 04, 2009