We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Emirates & Preassigned Seating Guarantee

Southport...
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Emirates & Preassigned Seating Guarantee

I note that there are a few good comments regarding Emirates, in particular with respect to their preassigned seating arrangments. If you check their website they do state that preassigned seats are guaranteed until 90 minutes before departure for Skywards members. I have to add that was not our experience in February this year. We arrived at Colombo to be told that our preassigned seats from Dubai to Manchester had not been saved, and despite it being 10 hours before that flight, they could only sit the three of us separately. This upset my son for the whole of the Colombo - Dubai journey. We had to kick up quite a fuss at Dubai to enable him to sit with one of us. He's 8. Despite their guarantee Emirates have not been very customer friendly in this respect. Has anyone had experience such as this with Emirates and what was the outcome?

Southport...
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Emirates & Preassigned Seating Guarantee

Has anyone else had this experience or have any suggestions? To me a guarantee is a guarantee and as such should be honoured. Does anyone else agree? And am I right thinking it's not good customer service to sit an 8 year old alone on an 8 hour flight?

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,524 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Emirates & Preassigned Seating Guarantee

I'm also a skywards member and I always use the pre-assigned seating, especially as we are a family with a 6year old in tow. We have ALWAYS got our seats and never been seperated. Just returned from a round trip to Oz where our seats were booked 6 months in advance, again no problems.

We generally book our flights 6 months in-advance, so this may be a reason, a case of first come first served basis?? I would assume that it must get difficult for any airline for multiple passangers booking late, when there are only singles left??

But LeBreton, I would be horrified if our 6 y/o had to sit by himself. This is totally out of order, I hope you wrote to Emirates on your return.

We have always found Emirates to be great, but like all businesses there can be hic-cups and this defines a good business from a great one. On this occassion I think they failed!!!

Cala d'Or, Spain
Level Contributor
4,263 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Emirates & Preassigned Seating Guarantee

Do Emirates actually guarantee the seats? Most airlines who allow pre allocation tend to have some opt out clause RE: BA & SA. I have flown Emirates and pre booked seats with Skywards membership and all went well although Skywards in my view does not give you any great advantage.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
41,386 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Emirates & Preassigned Seating Guarantee

We flew with emirates to Joburg from Birmingham and got the preassigned seats we booked with no problems. Same with Air France, Air Mauritius, BA and Virgin Atlantic.We check out the best seats on seatguru.com then make our choice.

Southport...
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Emirates & Preassigned Seating Guarantee

According to the website Emirates guarantee preassigned seats up to 90 minutes before departure for Skywards members, of which we are. We reserved the seats a few weeks before flying and received confirmation of those seats. This unfortunate event happened in February. I have written to Emirates and they have confirmed that yes, we did have preassigned seats but due to a system failure at their end the setats on one leg of the journey were not "successfully transferred from the reservations system to the check- in system". I wrote again asking for confirmation and comment regarding their plans to sit an 8 year old alone on an 8 hour flight. Their reply stated that the matter had been fully invesitigated, and that is that, basically. Obviously I am not happy and at the moment would not recommend Emirates to those travelling with children. I have been advised by The Advertising Standars Authority to contact The Trading Standards Authority, which will be my next step.

Many thanks for those who have replied, I welcome your comments.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
15,325 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Emirates & Preassigned Seating Guarantee

According to their Terms and Conditions, there is no seat guarantee:

Seating

We will try to meet advance seating requests, but we cannot guarantee that you will be able to sit in any particular seat. We can change your seat for a similar seat at any time, even after you have boarded the aircraft.

Can you post the link to the page on the Emirates site where they make this guarantee? It seems odd since it would contradict their own T&C.

Southport...
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Emirates & Preassigned Seating Guarantee

Thank you for your interest.

Here is a link to the relevant page regarding Emirates guarantee for Skywards members: emirates.com/uk/…ExtraAirlineServices.asp

Seems quite clear and specific to me and I welcome any further comments or advice.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
15,325 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Emirates & Preassigned Seating Guarantee

Yes, they do sem to have a problem. They are guaranteeing their Frequent Flyers something that their T&C specifically says they will not guarantee under any circumstances.

I assume you were at the check-in desk at leats 90 minutes before, and that you asked other passengers if they could accomodate you.

Southport...
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Emirates & Preassigned Seating Guarantee

Thanks worldtraveller and yes we checked in well within the 90 minutes as we checked in at Colombo around 10 hours earlier. The staff at Colombo advised that they would contact Dubai in advance of our arrival there, but they hadn't, which meant we had 2 hours at the desk in Dubai trying to at least get 2 seats and 1 seat. Not satisfactory at all! The crew onboard knew the situation, as did other passengers. However no-one offered to move, including the gentleman to the side of my son despite toilet/visit dad requests!

Southport...
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Emirates & Preassigned Seating Guarantee

oops sorry I meant to say worldvoyager!