We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Experience with Egyptair

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
632 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Experience with Egyptair

We have a long(ish) haul sector coming up on Egyptair in September, from Cairo to Bangkok (7 hours 40 mins) on their 777-200.

Anyone flown with them and have any comments to report? Ive had a look at some reviews on Skytrax and trip reports on airliners.net but there isnt alot of talk around about this aitline.

I understand they are trying very hard to improve service levels and become a dominant player in the region in the next 5-10 years.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
141 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Experience with Egyptair

I flew them between Rome and Cairo and through Egypt last year. The service was OK and the planes were in Ok condition. There was no liquor on board but on certain sectors there is a bar service. The seats were very uncomfortable on certain aircraft and better on others. Business class was as good as economy on one leg, in fact I was in the same seat type (which looked like it was pulled out of a retired 707). The flights arrived more or less on time maybe 30 minutes late out of Rome. The price was good. I did not fly on the 777 just various airbuses and 737's. Hopefully you will not have the pale green 707 seat for the flight to BKK. There was food service and plenty of it as well, so you will not go hungry. IFE is not the greatest - a lot of arabic pop (which isn't too bad). A prayer from the Koran is displayed on the screens prior to take off after the safety demonstration, so that was interesting. The crew smile 50% of the time. Hope this helps a bit. I know what you mean when it comes to skytrax -I always want the most info as well as to what to expect on flights on foreign airlines. But I do enjoy flying different airlines for the experience. Have a good flight.

Mexico
Level Contributor
230 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Experience with Egyptair

HI.

I flew with Egypt Air in two short flights, from Cairo To Aswan and Luxor to Cairo, and I can tell you that in my experience is a good airline, planes are in good conditions and very clean, flight attendants are kind, they gave us a good service, flights were on time, they gave us breakfast on board, and it was good. I guess you're gonna have a very good experience flying with them.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
43,563 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Experience with Egyptair

I flew with Egyptair twice; once in 1996 to Cairo, which was fine, but more recently to South Africa via Cairo, with a stopover of 5+ hours in Cairo both ways. The flights were not too bad, but dry, and I think the service had deteriorated a lot. The stopover was a nightmare in both directions, with delays. Going out they put us up in the Novotel at the airport for a few hours, but coming back they advertised a transit hotel which did not exist, and wanted to charge us $80 for a few hours rest. The terminal was appalling; one toilet, one cafe, no shops and very rude ground staff. Would never transit Cairo ever again.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
895 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Experience with Egyptair

I've travelled Egypt Air, but only on short internal flights. They were actually planes and crews leased from Air France. Flights were on time and planes were not crowded. As for Cairo airport, agree with previous poster. It was absolute mayhem. We used the business class lounge and it was the worst one we've ever oncountered. I hate to scare you, but I also recently read they're in the " poor" rating for safety.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
632 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Experience with Egyptair

Thanks for all your responses... keep 'em coming!

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,754 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Experience with Egyptair

becoming a dominant player in the region in the next 5-10 years.they are wishing to i guess!!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
632 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Experience with Egyptair

No lilyanna they are very serious.

A massive upgrade to Cairo Airport is nearing completion, an ambition to join Star Alliance seems it may happen in the next few years, a new codeshare arrangement with Lufthansa (as well as existing codeshares with well regarded players like SIA and Thai), ordering or new aircraft etc ,suggest that the wheels have been in motion for quite some time.

Of course I wouldnt expect them to ever rival the likes of Emirates, but from what I have researched things look good for Egyptair.

It will be interesting to see what they are like to fly with.

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,754 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Experience with Egyptair

good luck to them

9. Re: Experience with Egyptair

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:22 am, September 03, 2009