We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Essential items for a long haul flight

Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Essential items for a long haul flight

In a few weeks, I will be going on a long haul flight from North America to Asia. The flight is 13 hours followed by a 3 hour stop over and then another 3 hour flight.

What items would you recommend I bring on board? I was thinking about a change of clothes, toothbrush and toothpaste would be a good addition to my usual carry on items.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Essential items for a long haul flight

Obviously varies from country to country but currently in the UK you can not take (other than very small containers) liquids, gels, pastes etc in cabin baggage through security. This includes toothpaste, so might be worth checking just what you can take on the route you are flying.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
618 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Essential items for a long haul flight

Having done a few flights of this length I can recommend taking a change of clothing (or at least underwear) and your toothbrush & toothpaste. Wet wipes are also a good idea for a bit of a freshen up and don't forget to pack minisized cosmetics (moisturiser and lip balm etc). Also make sure you take enough entertainment for your 3 hour stop.

Jupiter, Florida
Level Contributor
1,044 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Essential items for a long haul flight

Normally on my list is my iPod, noise cancelling headphones/earbuds, eye shade, book, sanitizing lotion/toothbrush/toothpaste/mouthwash (as already pointed out, small enough for the quart zip-lock bag), compression socks (I find they help), extra pair of regular socks, extra clothes if I have room, medications I might need during the flight (including a sleep aid).

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Essential items for a long haul flight

16 hours is just a midi flight! LOL

bring a change of underwear and sox, some sort of deodarant, a warm jacket, ear plugs (kids!), eye mask, good book, comfortable shoes, packet of mints and a sense of humor.

some people like those neck pillows and i think u can get those finger rub toothbrush/paste substitutes in the usa. they are good.

Jupiter, Florida
Level Contributor
1,044 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Essential items for a long haul flight

One other thing I just thought of that I've taken along the last few times is an empty water bottle. In the 'old days' before all the security measures it would have water in it to start with, but I find even having the refillable bottle is handy on flights so I don't have to keep asking for little cups of water to stay hydrated. I just ask the flight attendant to fill it once in awhile.

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
4,937 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Essential items for a long haul flight

HI

I try and travel as light as possible.

but I always take a change of clothing I use the clear compression bags. easy for security to see and check. and takes up less space

I also take my laptop and camera.

most of the Asian airlines give you a little travel kit with toothpaste and brush. some have slippers also.

bring some snacks I like power bars..

on your layover you can look for showers or massage great way to get the kinks out before your final destination

have a great trip.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
597 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Essential items for a long haul flight

Noise-cancelling headphones! Music, comfortable pillow, slipper socks to protect your socks from the carpet/toilet floor.

Hampshire UK
Level Contributor
4,128 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Essential items for a long haul flight

All of the above are good, we take plastic carrier bags to put all the crap in that the F.A.s don't take away!

Surrey England
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Essential items for a long haul flight

As well as many of the above mentioned items, I always take a face moisturiser and hand cream.Your skin can get very dry on a long flight.

gk
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Essential items for a long haul flight

I can't agree more with taking moisturiser and lip balm. The air on those flights is so drying.