We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BA check in message

K30
Cornwall
Level Contributor
896 posts
18 reviews
BA check in message

Good morning,

So just checked in online for LGW FLL but am I’m in a state of near panic as the following has popped up for my entire family:

Your passport and/or visa(s) must be checked at the airport

We are required by certain countries to check your travel documents before you fly. Please see a British Airways representative at the airport.

Can anyone shed any light as to why this has popped up in screen? Booked direct with BA. Is this a standard message? API is done, ESTAs are in date from last year etc. It has let us check in but I’m anxious as to what this means. Many thanks!

12 replies to this topic
South of England
Level Contributor
3,318 posts
185 reviews
1. Re: BA check in message

Completely random and completely normal. Please do not worry about it.

Berkshire, United...
Level Contributor
19,662 posts
61 reviews
2. Re: BA check in message

With Virgin, they won't even let you check in online if they want to look at your documents at the airport. This is nothing at all to worry about.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
42,998 posts
104 reviews
3. Re: BA check in message

The same happened to us on Wednesday, BA flight from Athens....we could check in but boarding pass had to be issued at the airport. Nothing to worry about, except for the queues at the checking desk.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,706 posts
4. Re: BA check in message

couple of possibilities

if you are travelling with hand luggage only they will check documents before you go through security

if your boarding cards have SSSS on then - random check

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
42,998 posts
104 reviews
5. Re: BA check in message

You can't go through security without a boarding pass even though you are travelling with hand luggage only.

K30
Cornwall
Level Contributor
896 posts
18 reviews
6. Re: BA check in message

Thanks all for the prompt replies. Spent a fortune on this trip so anxiety is high! I haven’t printed off ESTAs as I’m sure I read it wasn’t necessary - worth doing?

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,006 posts
46 reviews
7. Re: BA check in message

I always take a paper copy of everything, including my passport but then, I’m a natural pessimist!

Glossop, United...
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
124 reviews
8. Re: BA check in message

Nothing to worry about!

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
10,369 posts
149 reviews
9. Re: BA check in message

As you are flying to US it may be that when you get your boarding card you will see SSSS on it. This means there will be an extra security check at the gate. When they call your flight go to the boarding desk and you’ll go through for this check. Only those with the SSSS will be able to go through.

This often happens to my husband, he goes through and we board separately, they ask a few questions and swab you. As we travel with little hand baggage I take his hb, makes a bit of a nonsense. He is able to check in but must pick his boarding card up at a desk.

Hoe this helps.

UK
Level Contributor
2,877 posts
15 reviews
10. Re: BA check in message

This almost certainly means that one of your group will have the extra screening at the gate. As others have said, nothing to worry about and you can do this before regular boarding starts so you might even jump the queue to get onboard.

No need to print out your ESTA unless you like wasting paper. It is either valid and linked to your passport or it isn’t.

Reply to: BA check in message
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted