We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fly to New Zealand and transit flight in Sydney-urgent!!!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
fly to New Zealand and transit flight in Sydney-urgent!!!

Hi, need your urgent advice! I already bought the flight to New Zealand (round trip) via two airlines, 1st line with British Airways from S'pore -Sydney, 2nd via Sydney - Christchurch, but the booking is under one airline- British Airways,

1. When I do check-in in Changi airport with British Airline, can I do check-in for both and get boarding pass for both flights, and check- in the luggage all the way to Christchurch? Same for the return flights, can I check- in for both flights in Christchurch airport?

2. Is transit time in Sydney 2hours 45mins enough? Do I still need go through customs and security check?

3. Do I need a transit visa in Sydney airport? I am holder a Singapore passport, and the transit time as per the ticketing booking is less than 8 hours.

Many Thanks!

12 replies to this topic
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: fly to New Zealand and transit flight in Sydney-urgent!!!

Forgot to mention, there is only one ticket and one booking reference no. for the four flights, and the booking reference no. is with British Airway.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
645 posts
22 reviews
2. Re: fly to New Zealand and transit flight in Sydney-urgent!!!

The answer to the majority of your questions depends on whether you have purchased one ticket or two.

Wiltshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
11,655 posts
446 reviews
3. Re: fly to New Zealand and transit flight in Sydney-urgent!!!

It appears you need a visa https:/…Visas_and_Migration.html “Travellers of all nationalities, except citizens of Australia and New Zealand, will need to obtain a visa to travel to Australia. ” transit visas are available.

If this is one ticket (rather than two) the airline would not sell it if it was not possible, plus if there is delay on Flight 1 they will arrange a replacement flight 2.

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,053 posts
26 reviews
4. Re: fly to New Zealand and transit flight in Sydney-urgent!!!

The OP made it pretty clear that it's all on one ticket.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: fly to New Zealand and transit flight in Sydney-urgent!!!

Thanks all for the prompt reply!

Yes it is one ticket issued by British Airways. So in such case, I assume if the 1st flight got delay, British Airways should be responsible for a replacement one flight 2 right?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: fly to New Zealand and transit flight in Sydney-urgent!!!

And since it is one ticket under British Airways, do I just need do one check-in in Changi airport for flight 1 & 2, or I still need do twp check-in seperately in Changi airport & Sydney airport?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
645 posts
22 reviews
7. Re: fly to New Zealand and transit flight in Sydney-urgent!!!

You should receive your boarding passes for both flightswhen you check in in Singapore

Culburra Beach...
Level Contributor
3,486 posts
198 reviews
8. Re: fly to New Zealand and transit flight in Sydney-urgent!!!

You will get all boarding passes in Singapore. Your bags will be checked thru. You do not need a visa/transit visa. You will transit airside via the signposted international transfers gate and go through security/screening. If you get to Passport control, it means you have walked too far.

Have a great trip

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
13,070 posts
117 reviews
9. Re: fly to New Zealand and transit flight in Sydney-urgent!!!

All of what travellinallover said is correct and yes, you have LOADS of time, you only need around 40 mins.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
10. Re: fly to New Zealand and transit flight in Sydney-urgent!!!

Thanks very much everybody!

Yes I just called the British Airway, they confirmed I only need do one check-in in Changi airport to get two boarding pass all the way to Christchurch, no need leave the airport transit lounge.

My last question, as per the Australia Embassy regarding the transit visa requirement, if the traveler (in this case Singapore passport holder) hold a confirmed onward booking to leave Australia to travel to a third country on the same or another aircraft within 8 hours of arrival in Australia, no need transit visa.

For my return flight 3 & 4, when transit in Sydney airport, according to my ticket booking, the transit time is 7hours 55 mins, My question is, if worst case flight 4 got delay, then the actual transit time exceed 8 hours, do I need a transit visa? But this delay you will never know upfront!

Reply to: fly to New Zealand and transit flight in Sydney-urgent!!!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted