We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Change of departure country

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
19 reviews
Change of departure country

Hello,

I booked flights through a third party travel agency with Garuda to travel to Bali in December 2018 from London to Bali.

Now I have to get my flights from Amsterdam as Garuda won’t fly from London.

Notified a couple of weeks ago. Now have to take more annual leave and pay for return flights to Amsterdam and possibly accommodation.

Anyone have any advice please re where stand on this?

Thank you.

12 replies to this topic
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
9,422 posts
52 reviews
1. Re: Change of departure country

Please see this extensive thread on the subject:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i10…

Garuda is rerouting all their passengers not forcing them to get on their own to Amsterdam. Your complicating factor is the travel agency in the middle but hopefully a good one with good customer service. You should first read the thread, try and deal directly with Garuda or revert to travel agent to find you the appropriate alternative.

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
19 reviews
2. Re: Change of departure country

Why thank you. Apologies I didn’t know how to pick up the thread so appreciate your guidance.

W Yorkshire
Level Contributor
5,569 posts
181 reviews
3. Re: Change of departure country

Because they've given you plenty of notice there's not much you can do, 're expecting compo or owt.

It's just a fact of air travel tbh.

London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
24,253 posts
52 reviews
4. Re: Change of departure country

You would be entitled to a full refund on your flights though, as it is a substantial change.

What it appears is that Garuda is arranging for their passengers affected to be flown to Amsterdam on KLM - note that this does not necessarily mean from Heathrow, apparently some customers have successfully negotiated a connection from a more convenient UK local airport.

Garuda customer services will be working through its passenger list on date order, starting with the people affected most imminently, which could be why they have not yet got back to you with alternative arrangements. I think they are currently working their way through November departures.

As said above, read the thread, decide how you want to proceed, contact Garuda and negotiate.

Edited: 6:07 am, September 23, 2018
Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
25,856 posts
38 reviews
5. Re: Change of departure country

There is one possible fly in the ointment and complication in your case. You say you booked via a third party travel agency.

Please name them. We may need to comment further on how you proceed.

SWT

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
19 reviews
6. Re: Change of departure country

Omega Travel

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
10,815 posts
26 reviews
7. Re: Change of departure country

<<Omega Travel>>

<<Anyone have any advice please re where stand on this?>>

Book directly with the airline in future.

Do not even think about Omega will help you.

Check out the rather long threads about Omega travel: https://www.tripadvisor.com/SearchForums?q=Omega+travel&scope=2&sub-search=Search&ff=10702&geo=1&returnTo=__2F__ShowTopic__2D__g1__2D__i10702__2D__k11974338__2D__Change__5F__of__5F__departure__5F__country__2D__Air__5F__Travel__2E__html

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
19 reviews
8. Re: Change of departure country

To be fair it was a cheap flight. £420 return including over Christmas. Just didn’t realise departure country would change and now connecting flights from Jakarta to Bali have been changed from 3 hour to 15 hour layover.

I’m not after compensation as someone rudely suggested. Just a fair result and advice thanks.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
10,815 posts
26 reviews
9. Re: Change of departure country

<<cheap flight. £420 return including over Christmas>>

That is a good price. However, now you need to add a separate return flight to Amsterdam, and you need plenty of time between the two flights as you do not have a protected connection. That may include a overnight in a hotel in Amsterdam. At then end that flight is no more that cheap.

Also, check that you are booked on the flight form Amsterdam directly with the airline and keep an eye on that flight in case it is changing, again. Do not rely on Omega to inform you in time.

South of England
Level Contributor
3,214 posts
185 reviews
10. Re: Change of departure country

I would be very wary about going for a refund option. If the airline pays Omega Travel you may have problems getting money back.

travelweekly.co.uk/articles/311037/omega-tra…

Reply to: Change of departure country
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted