We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Single vs. multiple tickets for multi-city itinerary?

Single vs. multiple tickets for multi-city itinerary?

Hi,

I haven't found a clear answer to this online; hoping someone can help.

Traveling to 5 different destinations: Hong Kong and 4 others within Thailand. Point of origin is east coast USA. It seems that booking one ticket with Cathay Pacific and then multiple one-way tickets with Bangkok Airways within Thailand is about $250 cheaper than putting all flights for both airlines on a single ticket.

Apart from the cost difference, what are the advantages/disadvantages of booking one ticket vs. multiple?

Thanks!

4 replies to this topic
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
9,642 posts
52 reviews
1. Re: Single vs. multiple tickets for multi-city itinerary?

<<Apart from the cost difference, what are the advantages/disadvantages of booking one ticket vs. multiple?>>

In my mind, if we're talking about multiple segments with a stay at each point (vs faux 'connecting' flights) the only advantage to me is extremely minor convenience of having the overview of all your flights and management of all your flights in one place.

We always use one return ticket from home to a hub and back (or open jaw return from our last stop) and then separate one ways or returns within the region for our other destinations.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
68,568 posts
72 reviews
2. Re: Single vs. multiple tickets for multi-city itinerary?

IF you are using the one way tickets to stay in a location for a while and then go on to the next location there is no problem at all. Definitely do that if it is less expensive for you.

The only time booking separate tix becomes a problem is when you are using them one after another on the same day when if your first flight is late you might miss that 2nd separate one and you'd have to buy a new ticket.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
26,866 posts
38 reviews
3. Re: Single vs. multiple tickets for multi-city itinerary?

Assuming your flight itinerary looks something like USA > Hong Kong > Airport A, Thailand > Airport B, Thailand > Airport C, Thailand > Airport D, Thailand > USA, I would suggest that you look around for multi city flights on an airline, which could well be Cathay Pacific (or Thai Airways, but there are others, too) for the first and last flights.

Assuming all other flights, from Hong Kong and within Thailand (and airports A - D could be a repeat) are on separate days so you have stays in location, then you can book all those flights as entirely separate tickets, with any carrier that flies within Thailand, and that can usually (but not always) work out cheaper.

Other airlines that may serve some of your routes could include Cathay Dragon, Thai Smiles and AirAsia. I have had very good experiences with Bangkok Airways, Cathay Dragon and Thai Smiles, I've never yet used AirAsia. Do note all these are low cost or regional airlines. They do not in general have as generous a hand baggage allowance as long haul international carriers offer, and checked bags and seat selection is not necessarily free.

SWT

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,143 posts
4. Re: Single vs. multiple tickets for multi-city itinerary?

For your leg back to the US, try and ensure there's an overnight connection at least or a genuine connection back. This will be the only risk I guess.

Reply to: Single vs. multiple tickets for multi-city itinerary?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted